• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Increasing Outflow Hose Diameter

Courtneybst

Hi guys,

I have a conundrum. I bought some stainless steel lily pipes for my Eheim 2213 which uses 12mm tubing and it works great. So I decided to get a set for my Eheim 2217. Problem is the 2217 uses a 12mm outflow but 16mm intake. I bought the 16mm lily pipes because supposedly you can cause damage to the filter by restricting the intake. Would there be any problems using a reducer to connect the 12mm and 16mm tubes together?

The outflow would start as 12mm from the filter and flow into a 16mm for the lily pipe. I know this would reduce flow rate but I'm not bothered about that as I was using it with the taps half closed anyway. I more concerned whether this will cause any mechanical or leaking issues, especially as the tubing is going up rather than down.

Any help appreciated.

I’ve used adapters to switch from 12 to 16 and not had any problems. Your filter will make more noise if it’s unhappy with any reduction in the flow. You can also get 14mm hose, my Sera came with it.

Update: The Eheim reducer came and it fits snug as a bug. I highly doubt there will be any leaks but I'll keep my eyes on it.

387dbfbd1195eca74167112de4524371.jpg

Back