• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

In Tank vs Inline

Agree with that. Overwhelm the forum with data, and you will get a better result.....

Sure.. Here comes all the geeky data:
54L 60cm Aquarium.
Here is a pH profile from this morning with a bubble rate of 2 per second and attempting to target a 0.7 pH drop (for something like 15ppm co2). I'm still dialing it in, and it's not right yet.. I need to up the injection rate further, possibly to 3 or 4 bubbles per second. Also, the gas needs to come on much earlier.
Full photo of the tank, recently planted, all easy plants, low lighting, and soil under layer. The drop checker has 2 dkh fluid, so is set to indicate lime green at 15ppm. My pH drop readings and the drop checker colour seem to correlate very well.

tank.jpg
pH Profile.png

I have the same co2 system. I assume you are using the small bazooka diffuser and tubing that came with the set? I’m new to it all but have been using it for a little while now.

No, I am using the co2art inline diffuser, hence my original question if this type of diffuser is mismatched to my setup. I'm starting to think that there isn't any problem here. I have just been misguided by the recommended bubble rates and cartridge life expectancy on the CO2 Supermarket website. Have you replaced a cartridge yet? Did it last as long as expected based on your 1 per 3 bubble rate?
And yes we have very hard water here in Bristol. Measured 12 dkh in the tank.

I used to use one of those. After I changed to a different brand I found that my CO2 consumption went down.
Thanks, which brand did you switch to?

Sorry it looks like I have hi-jacked this discussion thread with my own specific problems. Mods feel free to split to a separate thread if you prefer..

Last edited:
Have you replaced a cartridge yet? Did it last as long as expected based on your 1 per 3 bubble rate?
Not yet. It’s only been running a few weeks.
I plan to swap to sodastream when the three I purchased do run out. Also, I did the leak test when I first set it up and it was solid. I was quite happy my usage halved when I did a re set up. I think strip down and re set it up just in case something is not quite right.

My disappointment comes from the claim on the website that with 1 bubble every 4 seconds into 50L, a cartridge will last 3 months.
Hi,

I have found the standard 'Youtube' advice on a 1-2 bps for co2 and 1-2hrs for the PH to drop does not seem to apply with hard water. I have a 60P 60 litre Co2 injected tank, using a co2 art in-line diffuser, that has been running I think now around 3 years. For a lime green drop checker, I have to inject 3.8bps, and it takes around 5-6 hours for my drop checker to hit lime green. A PH profile shows it takes around 4-5 hours of co2 injection to stabalise. I do though have a skimmer, and this means you have to slightly increase you co2 injection, but it would probably mean I would need 3.8bps instead of 3.6bps.

I thought for months I must have had a leak, then I shortened tubing, tried different diffusers, all sorts. Finally I realised it was simply due to my water. It's just harder for us folks with hard water (high PH / KH) to saturate the water with co2, so we have to pump more in (I'm sure someone can scientifically explain this better than me). Over the years, I have now spoken to many people with similar water, and lots of them have to inject more co2 and find the PH drop takes longer.

I hope this helps.

Keith

A PH profile shows it takes around 4-5 hours of co2 injection to stabalise.

Thanks Keith. Everything you've said matches with what I am observing. You've possibly saved me many weeks of pointless faffing.
Here is my pH profile from today. Its drawing a very predictable line, but one that takes extremely long to achieve anything that resembles a flat line. I'll try increasing gaseous exchange and injection rate in an attempt to equalise faster. But I guess I should accept that the CO2 needs to come on very early in the morning.
Will see how I can rearrange things to fit a proper sized CO2 system under there.

co2 profile.png

Last edited:
Will see how I can rearrange things to fit a proper sized CO2 system under there.
Yes I now have a Strideways regulator (fantastic) , in-line diffuser a 3KG bottle, lasts me around 5 months. I used to have a small bottle and was constantly refilling and found it difficult to find someone that can refill small bottles.

I had a chat with guys at aquarium gardens about my PH drop taking 5 hours, and they said they were not surprised due to my hard water.

Main thing is having plenty of flow in the tank!!

Last edited:
Back