• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

In Tank Atomizers & External Filters

sonicninja

Hi everyone.
I've started to use my in tank atomizer/diffuser underneath my external filter intake to hopefully increase CO2 Dissolution (correct term?) and reduce the lemonade appearance of my aquarium water. I've read a lot on the forum regarding the issues with this and in particular the risks associated with the CO2 eating away at O-Rings and seals in the external filter.

Has anyone dealt with this issue first hand? Im not saying that CO2 wont eventually wear down the rubber seals but I wondered if it had happened to anyone and how quickly?

Are there any other issues associated with this method? For example CO2 escaping from the filter canister etc...

I'm using an UP Aquarium External 120 so an in-line diffuser is not an option due to the rigid pipework.

Thanks everyone!

IANAC (I am not a chemist), but I did have a look around the net, and my impression was that this was mainly an issue with VERY high pressure CO2. I think the gist was that this was a common problem in eg. offshore applications of CO2, in other words high temperature (+100 C) and high pressure (+ 0.02 MPa (MegaPascal).
How much corrosion is applicable under our more relaxed use, is probably up for debate. I've seen the claims here and elsewhere, but very little hard facts or experiences on the issue. Will CO2 corrode your rubber? Yeah, over time it will probably degrade, just as it would if you kept an O-ring in a drawer for an extended period. I've used an inline diffuser on my inlet for a while, and probably will again (since I also dislike the fizzy drink look). I'd dare the claim that it is fairly safe to do, as long as you check your equipment regularily (which you should anyway). But again, I am not a chemist nor a physicist, so apply salt to my observations. Others surely will chime in.
CO2 cannisters is commonly used as roadside repair inflators for bicycle enthusiasts, btw. They seem to be having the same discussions, and as far as I've gathered, consensus is majorly in the camp, that whatever degradation should occur in a bicycle tube is neglible in relation to common wear and tear. Just my 2 cents.

Other issues common with inlet CO2 diffusion is that the filter might "burp" once in a while, since there might be some buildup of CO2 inside the cannister. This is hugely dependent on your particular filter, and how much/what material is used. I use an Eheim 250T, with fairly little material, and had occasional burps, but it wasn't any problem for me. If you pack it tightly with filter floss, you might have issues.

Hi
Although its been stated that Co2 can affect O ring and seal integrity....I don't think there has been any reported on this forum!
Many aquaplanters use the Up Atomiser on the outlet side.....this method keeps the atomiser cleaner for that reason!
As Fiske has stated....:thumbup:
If you use any Co2 diffuser on the inlet side of a external filter you may encounter build in the canister over a period of time!
Which could result in annoying expelling of the build up!....:thumbdown:
hoggie

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's been running like this since about midday and so far no burps at all. In fact nothing, no noticeable change in the sound or operation of the filter. As an absolute pessimistic inn wondering if it's escaping the filter somehow. I'm going to wait till tomorrow and see how quickly my drop checker changes and compare to the method I was using before.
Looks great though, not a bubble in sight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back