• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

In praise of Oto's

I've never kept these before but many folks reckon they are really good for keeping tanks clean so I bought 4 for a newly setup Nano and they're doing a really fantastic job! Not sure the exact species, just one of the "stripey" ones!

I'd like just a couple more and the Zebra's look nice. Anyone know of any LFS in the Surrey area that has them at the moment?

I want to get some, but working on softer water first, i have failed with these with extreamly hard water (Tap). But will be trying Rain or RO next, Just building up some diatoms on glass as well, then add them, hopefully they will fit in :thumbup:

sr20det said:
I want to get some, but working on softer water first, i have failed with these with extreamly hard water (Tap). But will be trying Rain or RO next, Just building up some diatoms on glass as well, then add them, hopefully they will fit in :thumbup:

Hey, I keep mine between 200-250 TDS And they do well!

Regards

Whitey89 said:
sr20det said:

Regards

I think when I had them many moons ago the TDS would have been 600 I reckon, based on the rocks and stuff I had, out the tap its 350 with declorinator its up to 400-450. Guppies are fine in it, which is all I have, albino and pepeered corys no probs, Ancistrus nearly 4-5yrs old now I think in it. Whats your PH, as I think mine may have been 8-8.5, but now out the tap I always get 7.5 which is better I guess, but I would prefer 6.5-7.0 personally.

sr20det said:
Whitey89 said:
sr20det said:

Regards

I think when I had them many moons ago the TDS would have been 600 I reckon, based on the rocks and stuff I had, out the tap its 350 with declorinator its up to 400-450. Guppies are fine in it, which is all I have, albino and pepeered corys no probs, Ancistrus nearly 4-5yrs old now I think in it. Whats your PH, as I think mine may have been 8-8.5, but now out the tap I always get 7.5 which is better I guess, but I would prefer 6.5-7.0 personally.

Mines between 6.8 - 7.
Mine out the tap seems to have changed recently, before I used to get 330-350 TDS now I get about 250-270.

Works better for me :)

I just get RO and pour tap in till I hit 200 TDS. And slow feed it in. Being close to the tank TDS is the most important factor when dealing with shrimp.

Regards,

Whitey89 said:
Mines between 6.8 - 7.
Mine out the tap seems to have changed recently, before I used to get 330-350 TDS now I get about 250-270.

I just get RO and pour tap in till I hit 200 TDS. And slow feed it in. Being close to the tank TDS is the most important factor when dealing with shrimp.

Regards,

yeah, if I get Otos, they wont be in with Shrimp to begin with, just a fish only at min.

My shrimp tank sits at 400-420 tds but that is supposed to be ok as long as I am under 500. RCS mind not CRS.

sr20det said:
Whitey89 said:
Mines between 6.8 - 7.

Regards,

yeah, if I get Otos, they wont be in with Shrimp to begin with, just a fish only at min.

My shrimp tank sits at 400-420 tds but that is supposed to be ok as long as I am under 500. CRS mind not RCS.

Hey, don't you mean Red cherry shrimp, as Crystal Red shrimp wouldn't tolerate water that hard surely?

Regards,

Whitey89 said:
sr20det said:
Whitey89 said:
Mines between 6.8 - 7.

Regards,

My shrimp tank sits at 400-420 tds but that is supposed to be ok as long as I am under 500. CRS mind not RCS.

Hey, don't you mean Red cherry shrimp, as Crystal Red shrimp wouldn't tolerate water that hard surely?

Regards,

Sorry mate, Cherry Shrimp indeed so RCS not CRS, man, TGI Friday.

Whitey89 said:
Ha its very easy to make that mistake :lol:

Yeah Cherries would thrive in a puddle. Haha.

My fire red / sakura cherries are showing great colour, which has made me decide to keep them :)

Regards,

Well technically mine are 'yellows', but just easier to refer to them as Cherries. Are lovely little buggers.

Bit worried, they don't like Algae wafers or blanched lettuce. Just put some blanched cucumber in, any other suggestions? I suppose I could grow some algae on some stones outside.

I hadn't realised that they won't eat algae wafers, I had been dropping some in to keep them and the shrimp happy if there was little algae (tank is very clean now) - not much good if they won't eat them!

Anyone able to confirm whether Otos will eat algae wafers please? Don't want to accidentally starve the poor fellas!

Mine seem to like Melon! Just straight ripe melon, Galia I think.

I think I'll cut some small slices for the freezer to have a regular supply.

Back