• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal I'm sure there was a pond there

mort

So about a year ago I got fed up with the front lawn. It wasn't really a lawn to tell the truth because of all the weeds growing through it. Someone in the house is obsessed with feeding the birds but it only seems to attract wood pigeons and they are messy critters, this meant most of the corn was flung all over the place and sprouted everywhere.
I had enough and up came the grass and I planned to make it more interesting. Interesting for me is water so a wildlife pond was decided plus enriched environment for the birds and associated beasties.

I don't have a before so just imagine a horrible square of lawn with a couple of semi mature borders behind and to the side. In front was nothing really but that's all changed.

IMG_0863.jpg

This is an overview of the space a week or so ago (when the sun was last out, after the heavy wind so its a bit bashed but before the constant deluge we've had this week).

IMG_0861.jpg

and this is the pond, believe it or not. Its grown like this in over a year and stretches between the two acers and to the slate in the forground. 75% of the plants in the garden and pond are self propagated, a few divisions but most cuttings or from seed.

IMG_0861cut.jpg

This is the closest I have to a full pond shot. The grasses have really took off but it looked amazing this spring with the raged robbing, sisyrinchium, water hawthorne and forget me nots in full bloom.

IMG_0864.jpg

I've got lots of plants on the grow out for next year and am planning a foxglove wall along the back to block out the neighbours. The house is covered in a climbing hydrangea and for a couple of weeks a year the bumble bees make it sound like its a motorway (must give the blue tits who nest there a real headache). I've seen plenty of damselflies as well already so pretty chuffed.

Hi all,
So about a year ago I got fed up with the front lawn
I did away with my <"front garden lawn in 2008">. I'd already converted the spare parking space into a "scree".

This was the pond in 2010.

pond_view_towards_house1-jpg.jpg

Unfortunately I planted some fairly unsuitable plants (Eleocharis palustris, Equisetum fluviatile, Phalaris arundinacea "Picta", various Carex spp.) and the water has now disappeared.

This was 2012, which should raised some alarm bells
pond_view_june2012b-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel, I never had much open water with the way I set it up. My plan was plant heavy to begin with to soak up any nutrients, then remove either those that did too well, or those that did poorly. I have a much larger pond in the back garden where plants can be rehomed if need be.
The carex were added as I had them and to give a semi evergreen look. They didn't dominate at all during the first winter but probably need some thinning this autumn. I may have added too many tbh but my dog was a pup last year and she had a thing for bringing in grass like plants from the back garden, which also played a factor in having one out front where she can't get. She however is fine now and only drinks out the pond.

Back