• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

IM BACK- Nature's River by Harry Robinson

Mark Evans said:
Firstly, let me start by saying that this is an excellent scape.

I've gone through the whole journal, and it appears your not injecting CO2 right?....
You've done exceptionaly well in doing what you've done.

The algae issues, IMO, stem from low co2 and too higher light intensity.

Adding an algae crew would help for sure, but I can run a tank with no algae crew and not run into issues. So you need to get things correct without an algae crew.

If you're not running co2, I'd maybe suggest putting the flow from left to right instead of back to front. The algae seem to be directly in the flow. On a high co2 setup this may not be an issue, but my belief is that a non co2 tank should have a slower form of water movement. My tanks don't over rely on flow these days and they're happier for it.

Your on a fine line at the moment, but certainly, with what I can see, a line you'd do well stepping over....into co2 territory.

very well done.

Thanks alot Mark! Amazing to hear that from a professional such as yourself :thumbup:

Id rather not use a CO2 system in this tank as i Dont really have the funds however i get what you mean :) Its amazing what easy carbo can do eh? i'll think about the flow suggestion, its just it very hard to position the pipes on this tank and almost impossible to place them so that the flow goes from right to left haha ;)

Here's an update for you guys!

8118719037_51127089ea_z.jpg
FTS 24-10-12 by Harry.R, on Flickr
Cleaned up all the pieces of wood, added some stones at the back and some middle right, opinions?

I like the stones, makes it even more natural and the blend nicely with the sand colour.
Looks great Harry, it all works really well scape wise.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Ok guys so im back after a long break from the forum due to exam prep and the holidays. I hope you all had a great Christmas and I've got a little late Christmas present for you all which is updated photos of the tank! The tank has gone through many phases since the last update, major hair algae blooms, diatoms the lot but i have begun to get back into order and sort it out! I've also got a video of the tank for you all,which will give you a different perspective on how i have not only laid out the tank itself but also the plants surrounding etc to give a sort of zen feel to the scape haha :) As always here are the pictures:

8318824365_33509f590a_z.jpg
nature's river by Harry.R, on Flickr

8319891680_c9349a9acd_z.jpg

I miss the healthy crypt, i'll get that looking good as new ASAP!
8319884034_d24e686894_z.jpg

Nature's River | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Video link ^^

Looking forward to getting back into the forum topics, talk soon ;)

Lovely looking set up Harry, a nice corner to have in your room. I like the plants out off the aquarium too.

Good to see you back Harry :) Tank still looks great. And I STILL say it would look better with the smaller maui sand lol ;) But thats my preference as I think it would make the scale of things look better.

Lovely looking set up Harry, a nice corner to have in your room. I like the plants out off the aquarium too.

Cheers Ady, Yeah i love having the whole setup in the corner. Very relaxing to watch the plants drift in the flow :D I like them too, i've had the cactus since 2005, the bonsai i got a few days ago and i hope to train it around the tank :)

Good to see you back Harry :) Tank still looks great. And I STILL say it would look better with the smaller maui sand lol ;) But thats my preference as I think it would make the scale of things look better.

Good to hear from you again! Cheers, and yeah i totally agree with you on the sand but im not going to put myself through the hassle of changing it :) Thanks for the advice though!

Theres a simple way to do it, in case you would like to but are not sure how....

1) cut bits of plastic (chinese takeaway plastic trays/lids will do, or icecream containers.. though not haagen dazs or ben and jerrys lol)
2) insert plastic along the line of the white gravel and also some cross sections
3) suck out white gravel one section at a time replacing with finer grain (this should prevent the sides collapsing in)
4) Et Voila !

See ? Its not as hard as you may think.

Course if you still dont want to, I aint bovvered hehe :) It still looks good anyway

wow looking great harry ,lovely little scape and looking very healthy

Dean

Theres a simple way to do it, in case you would like to but are not sure how....

1) cut bits of plastic (chinese takeaway plastic trays/lids will do, or icecream containers.. though not haagen dazs or ben and jerrys lol)
2) insert plastic along the line of the white gravel and also some cross sections
3) suck out white gravel one section at a time replacing with finer grain (this should prevent the sides collapsing in)
4) Et Voila !

See ? Its not as hard as you may think.

Course if you still dont want to, I aint bovvered hehe :) It still looks good anyway
I'll keep that in mind! To be honest once i get a little job i might tear down this scape and go for something different :)

wow looking great harry ,lovely little scape and looking very healthy

Dean
Cheers Dean, its not as healthy as it was but im getting it back on track ;)

It is looking good mate any livestock yet Harry ?

Cheers Tim, No there still isn't any livestock, i'll have to have a nip around some lfs and grab some shrimp, possible some micro rasbora's etc :)

Back