• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ID This Piece of Kit!

Dave Spencer

OK, so who can tell me what this is? No prizes, though.

Work.jpg

Dave.

vauxhallmark said:
Turbine from a power station?

Well done Mark! It is the steam turbine low pressure rotor. It operates under a vacuum. To the right of the shaft is a coupling for a 70MW generator.

This one is a lot tougher....I hope.

Damage.jpg

Dave.

EDIT: Just noticed your reply George. :lol:

aaronnorth said:
what do you do in your job Dave?

I take photos of everybody else working? :lol: I am a production engineer/safety controller/team leader/workshy fop at a gas fired power station. Hopefully, I will be able to get on the nukes when they start to commission them.

Dave.

Dave Spencer said:
aaronnorth said:

I take photos of everybody else working? :lol: I am a production engineer/safety controller/team leader/workshy fop at a gas fired power station. Hopefully, I will be able to get on the nukes when they start to commission them.

Dave.
You have to work for a living now then..... ;)

Dave Spencer said:
aaronnorth said:

Dave.

lol, i was thinking about a job at nuclear power station, as there should be some when i finish my degree etc, but i decided to go for chemistry instead :rolleyes:

Dave Spencer said:
aaronnorth said:

I am a production engineer/safety controller/team leader/workshy fop at a gas fired power station.

Homer.jpg

Hopefully, I will be able to get on the nukes when they start to commission them.

homer-asleep-on-job.jpg

Dave.

George Farmer said:
You have to work for a living now then..... ;)

Yeah! I have never skived for a living like I did in the RAF. Happy days.

aaronnorth said:
lol, i was thinking about a job at nuclear power station, as there should be some when i finish my degree etc, but i decided to go for chemistry instead :rolleyes:

Most power stations employ a full time chemist (probably well paid, too). Then you would really know your water chemistry, Aaron.

Stu, you are a get! :lol: :lol: :lol:

anybody want to guess at the latest pic. As a clue, the image is very closely cropped, and about 10mm across.

Dave.

altaaffe said:
I'd go for a bit of FOD damage to one of the blades you were inspecting on that turbine shaft

Almost spot on. It is FOD damage, but to one of the compressor blades on a gas turbine. General Electric QA had passed the rotor as serviceable, ready for refitting. I was asked to take some pics of the various areas of damage as evidence.

Dave.

I am too late as always. lol

See loads of items like this passing down the road with Ruston Gas Turbines/EGT/Alstom/Siemens (or whatever they are named these days) in the city :)

AC

Back