• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ID Discus

Mike Charlie

Hi all,

Went to shop to check out my discus I ordered and I have a feeling these aren't what I ordered, is anybody able to ID these as dealer is saying the colour will change into Red Melon. Feel like I'm being lied to but want other opinions before I ask for money back

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_1652.JPG
    IMG_1652.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 160
Hi
I can't advice on the discus but see that U have DIY k1 filter bottle in there aka The King of DIY.He revised them in a video that are not really doing much as K1 is needed in bigger ammount and compared them with bioring bottle filter of the same size.U will be better having some bio rings in the bottle as has times better results.
Regards Konsa

Not massively knowledgeable about discus but that would be a hell of a change if what the shop told you was true. From what I've seen with the discus I had in a shop display (for around two years and looking about the same start size as those), discus might improve with colour slightly but don't change in markings as much so I'd be very surprised if they were red melon (going only by the first images on Google as I've not heard of them until now) unless there are grades of that type and these are an entry grade versus the show ones in the images I've seen.

That's not to say they aren't nice looking discus.

Right so bottom end is it's not what I ordered, they are still in store at moment and noticed the k1 myself however I was showed that they have a massive trickle tower for each tank so think it's in addition or maybe to show it has filtration to newbies, the media wasn't really moving much either so maybe it's for seeded media but again not my tank so can't say for sure. Might ask when I go back in a few days.

The shop is quarantining them for a couple weeks as I requested when I ordered so if I feel it's not right might turn them away.

Discus are currently 2.5 inches - 3 inches. Think out of all suggestions it looks most like stendker alenquer as it is white - very light blue patterning on edges. However the black lines look more like stress lines to me which would make sense given the fact they only just arrived when picture was took.

If it is low grade red melon then I am annoyed by price as I paid £35 each but it really doesn't look like it.

Don't get me wrong though they do look nice and even though they were newly moved swam straight up to me, there eyes looks good but also noticed a few of them have unusual sloping of head.

Going to go through another list tonight to see if I can match it

the black lines look more like stress lines to me
Hi, I agree with the others on the Alenquer call but the black lines are quite normal in young fish. I grew on a group of 2inch discus and the alenquer, sanmerah and turqs were all quite stripey as youngsters. Now as adults you rarely see stripes. I have 4 week old fry at the moment and some have dark bars while the ones that are going to be white are just pale.

Back