• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Are you entering the IAPLC 2013?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chaowang's #107 is actually quite the same as the 2012 hyper space rock work from #3.
The concept is the same. Only wood instead of rock and some PS blue sky for catching more attention.
There a few points that I would say keep this tank out of Top100.
1. Two impossible to coexsist in reallity dimensions.
2. The scape is made exclusively for impressive front shot. From a side will look nothing like that.

I would say this scape made it further than it should have. I have seen better works that have been placed way further back.
But then it is IAPLC and grading there never makes much sense.

Chaowang's #107 is actually quite the same as the 2012 hyper space rock work from #3. The concept is the same. Only wood instead of rock and some PS blue sky for catching more attention.
should have gone to specsavers :crazy:

It's a silly rule that you can't show your beauty if you're with the best ones on the contest.
Some may built their tanks for 5-8 months for the contest. Send it at the end of may. Now it is the end of august and they still can't show it. It's hard to resist :)

So the blacked out rockwork is to show something but not the final one. I fully understand he is proud of his placement and wants to share some bit til it will be public for all.

Yes, but a blacked image simply is not as nice the real thing.
It does an injustice to the scape itself.

And it creates assumptions by many, as I would not put it past ADA to have a high ranking tank with no fish or plants in it, some come amazingly close already. Yes, they are nice, but the level or horticulture is often poor while the focus on suiseki, penjing and other arts forms has replaced basic horticulture and aquaristry.
I think this is a disservice. Some suggested it might favor marketing for ADA and help them, but people will lift the images off the web either way. It will not increase traffic to ADA etc. But it's not my company either.
ADA has always seemed to try to be very protectionist, but that often backfires.

Yes, I saw 107 which I think was very very poorly placed. Novel aquarium.
Same with the warped look of Long Tran's. He has placed highly and that is one of the view tanks that made me look 2-3x and really try adn figure out what was going on there. Same for ChaoWang's.

I agree about the 107th ranking scape. Should be top 10 IMHO.

If it made the top 100 short list so the international judging panel actually got to see it, I have no doubt it would have reached top 10.

I might create a top-down view layout next year. Call it "bird's eye view". :)

About the 107th ranking: I can admire the creativity and the technical skill in executing the vision, but for me there is something artificial and stilted about these kinds of scapes. These scapes look great on photographs and are often partly dependent on photographic techniques to achieve the desired look.I am pretty sure that seeing this in real life would not live up to the photographs. Personally, as can be guessed, I much prefer the classical "realist" nature aquarium. That being said I welcome all attempts to challenge the classical type, this is what moves the field ahead.

Thomas

I see a lot of fire about the #107.
But guys as far as I know Amano is the very person that decides what gets in top 100 and what not.
I am not sure there are manu of you that are up to the task - a challenge to Amano's choise.

Surely I can pass by the specsavers Ian, but I am quite convinced that all I am going to see later is that Amano's choise on this one was right.:)

I do not like being annoyed with blacking out the images for the winner, just stop the games and make people wait till the end when they present it.
It's like pop ups and ads, or videos you have to watch for 30 seconds till you get to the content, it does not build interest, it annoys people.
Amano himself does this silly game if you ask him a question, I know 1st hand:)
Then people called me rude for asking the question. WTH? Who likes a smart donkey response and teased? Who likes to watch other stuff and not the content?
No one.

That's rude, not the question.

Just have the contest winners wait till the top 10 or whatever are available.
Screwing with the public does ADA no good services.

I do not like being annoyed with blacking out the images for the winner, just stop the games and make people wait till the end when they present it.

Well i am on the other side Tom. I am pleased to see whatever they show. If this is part of their work it's fine.
Helps to understand what they had in mind, how they built it. What is their concept for the current contest. Even if i see the hardscape i can confirm it's a great work.
The selection of the rocks, the ammount, the structure he built is nice - if this is the one he submitted. :) No plants yet, but we will see that shortly.

It's not popup ads or marketing blah or silly game. He is a friendly guy and does not matter he is the grand champ this year. He stays the same and share for fun. I support it! :)

Reactions: xim
Viktor, I like ADA, fear not, but the games? No. No one does. Truong is a nice guy, no issue there and the rock work is superb. Same with Amano. I've met him a few times now.
This has nothing to do with the past works or this works, rather, how the work is being presented in an annoying way, it's better to simply just wait and show it later in it's full glory.
This makes the public wonder much more than altered images etc. I just see no good point in releasing such a picture to begin with. Am I wrong here? No one has offered much support that I am or offered a rational "why I am not". Till they do, I'll let the opinion stand.
The best I heard was the person was "too impatient and wanted to put something up".
But, this hobby is very much about patience to begin, they knew this going in.
None of the other top 10 seemed to have done this also.

Sure, we all will look and ooo and ahh soon enough, but good things need not be rushed or teased. .
The impact is better if you see the full image. Sort of a let down to see this.

It's advertising, both for ADA and the creator.
Like a trailer for a movie, you can't see it all yet but teases you to want more, to see the final result. Good or bad, look how much time has been spent discussing it, ADA and IAPLC ;) Gets people talking and builds the hype.
I'm intrigued to see how the plants fit, they must be good if not a little minimal for a plant layout competition....but I don't know that for sure so I'm now more interested to see the result :)

So they take the "no publicising beforehand" rule seriously.

IAPLC 2013 Results | The International Aquatic Plants Layout Contest

Even more seriously than you can imagine. Check this out.

The announcement from IAPLC steering committee

Thank you for applying for IAPLC 2013
We have already announced the result of IAPLC2013, but it becomes known that several of works were publicized without any notice or permission on a magazine in Thailand. It is very regrettable that the warning from the steering committee was ignored, and several pictures were publicized. After the deliberate consultation process, we decided that the below 5 works are disqualified.
Rank 27th
Rank 29th
Rank 114th
Rank 130th
Rank 708th

*the disqualified rank becomes vacant and the World Ranking does not change.

We clearly mentioned on the contest application form that the copyright for all submitted works for IAPLC belongs to Aqua Design Amano Co., Ltd. It is not allow to use the material for any public/internet media, such as articles or advertisements WITHOUT the permission. Also, disclosing of submitted work before the official announcement (before Nature Aquarium Party or publishing IAPLC contest booklet) is prohibited.
The steering committee organizes IAPLC under the strict judge guideline and makes fair and concurrent announcement of result. We would like to ask for all contestants of IAPLC to follow the contest rules and wait for the official announcement. Yourunderstanding and cooperation are highly appreciated.
The International Aquatic Plants Layout Contest Steering Committee
(IAPLC 2013 Results | The International Aquatic Plants Layout Contest)

Back