• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ian's Wabi Kusa

Ian Holdich

I have fancied doing a Wabi Kusa for a while now, i was in (being dragged around) Asda Living today when i came across a bowl that i thought would suit a Wabi (this made Asda my friend). For the last few weeks when taking my dog out i have been spying all the plants on the banks in my local park, well this afternoon i went in a borrowed a few, and some terrestrial moss from a tree. There is one Ludwigia stem in there (which i'm not holding out hope for). The water isn't that clear yet either...

anyways,

I started of with some Monando and Flora-base and mixed them together to made a clay substance which became my Wabi ball

wabi4.jpg

this was the finished article after a nice afternoon in the garden

wabi5.jpg

close up of river bank plant (unsure of name)

wabi2.jpg

on the windowsill

wabi6.jpg

sorry, water isn't quite clear

wabi1.jpg

wabi3.jpg

Theres a bonus, the wife really likes it! lol

Looks wicked mate,

Are the mosses just laid on the mound? With the other plants rooted in.

I really wanna try one of these, and have been eyeing up little plants and weeds all over the place, its just the wabi ball I'm having problems with, I want it to maintain shape but still be able to push rooted plants into it. I really need to do some more reading I think.

Good luck with it.

cheers guys!!

anyone who has the knowledge or has done one of these before, do you have any advise on what i could replace the Ludwigia with. It's starting to droop already, i have sprayed it few times, but to no avail.

Are the mosses just laid on the mound? With the other plants rooted in.

yes mate, i moulded the moss around the ball. It was easier thank i thought, i thought i was going to struggle with that bit! The ball was also easy to make, as you'll know Flora-base (columdo) is really clay like, so i mixed it with some Monado and it moulded really well. Any clay like substance will do, i have read of people using the actual river banks as they are very clay like.

wow i am really jealous. It looks great.

I think the plant in your close up picture looks a bit like a geranium. (not the fuzzy, ivy leafed kind)

Really Like this and have also been eyeing that bowl. Looks Very Natural in the planting

Absolutely love it :) Great Wabi!

Regarding the Ludwigia, I'm trying to grow some in my newest Wabi project - it is not death and is trying to make new leaves, but is growing really slowly. Don't know why :rolleyes:

Maybe it will be a good idea for you to leave it for a while, I think it will adapt slowly and will start to form a terrestrial leaves. Mine was about 15 cm tall and I cut it down right to to the moss and planted the top bit too and is trying to grow.

I'm interested to see the result of your version of the substrate :geek: In the "Wabi garden" I have been using just moss for planting ground and as you could see is going really well. In the other one I have started some time ago/ I shall make a journal very soon :oops: / I have used acadama, pumice and bog peat, mixed together and rapped in moss. I have used some moss, glosso and lilaeopsis from Mark , thanks mate :) The moss is growing like crazy even above the water :shifty: , the lilaeopsis is trying to make it, the ludwigia is blood red, but as I mentioned earlier is growing really slow, and unfortunately the glosso is almost disappearing. Maybe it needs more nutritions, though...

thanks a lot for the comments guys.

Thank Antoni, i had read your journal prior to doing this project, along with other journals. Hopefully the substrate will hold out. It's still in shape at the moment. The larger stem Lud has all but shriveled at present. I'm going to leave it in, on your say so. I have also found some stem type plant whilst out tonight (walking the dog again lol), now i think this may be a sapling of some sort. I look forward to yor new Journal!

Heres a pic of the Lud
wabilud.jpg

and the new stem, this was found in some marshland in my local park.
wabisap.jpg

You welcome my friend!

IMO the lud will make it, just keep spraying it regularly.

I find it hard too, to keep the plants moisture expecially with this lovely weather outside/the wabis are below the window/
I'm not complaining :) I hope it will be like that all summer long :)

The new plant seems to me like Elodea, but I'm not sure.

I'm keeping close eye on your journal :wave:

well, the moss isn't looking half as good since planting. The plants are doing great though!

and i found this on my Wabi this morning

wabik1.jpg

and heres a couple of the plants

the Lud is doing great now
wabik2.jpg

wabik3.jpg

I like Olivers the best :D

Great work, think i need to rethink mine!

Olivers got greener fingers than me and he's only 3! His Wabi wins hands down! lol

cheers Mark!

what playhouse?, all i see is my flat. That's where i go when i have been cast out of the house ; )

Yes it did mate, it reverted to its emersed state. They are fun projects, and everyone should have a go. Good luck with yours mate!

Back