• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ian's LFS tank

Ian Holdich

Having got quite friendly with my local LFS manager/owner over the last few years, he gave me the opportunity to do his display tank. The tank is a home made, around 125 ltrs cube. This sits on the counter alongside the marine display tank. Having put in the plant order from Tropica, we got round to scaping it today. I have been at it since very early this morning. All the stuff used in the scape is available from the LFS, which is 'The Aquarium' in Lincoln. I had a choice of wood, but decided to go with JBL mangrove wood as it's not used much in scapes, and Dragon stone. There will be more photo's to come over the next few weeks. This tank can be viewed from 2 sides which made it more of a challenge!

Hardscape
kev4.jpg

Plants going in
kev2.jpg

The 2 views of the tank
kev1.jpg

Stems and Balansae at the back right hand corner (they are small at present)
kev5.jpg

Dragon stone
kev3.jpg

The flood
kev6.jpg

more pics to come over the next week as am work all weekend.

Thanks for looking.

Thank you Alastair, the Balansae is mixed with the stems at the far right. The stems are pretty short at the min, when they grow up it should add a different element to the scape.

Thank you Gary, the owner has just recently started stocking Tropica after using Aquafluer, he's hoping to start to branch a little more into planted stuff. He's building a new holding tank soon. He's also started getting in TPN+. He stocks all the Seachem and Easylife stuff as well.

Logi-cat, the substrate, Columbo Florabase. IMO one of the best substrates around.

cheers for the comment Luis, the plant choice wasn't my/the first plants choice...i wanted Bolbitis, but it wasn't available @ Tropica, so we thought anubias coffeefolia would be OK. I'm glad i did use it as TBH it looks loads better than the Bolbitis would have looked.

Yes the tank has C02 running, and will be dosed with 6ml of TPN+ daily. With daily water changes. It's running full RO and is going to be stocked with 10-15 Neon rams.

Yeah, the cofeola looks fabulous, and next to wood just looks right.

This tank has everything to be a cracking scape, get the owner to enter it on the next ADA comp, would be a great boost.

wow cheers mate!

lets hope they/I can keep it looking good for the length of the scape.

Congrats on Being able to create the scape in an LFS. Great way to promote the Hobby to the masses.

Can I ask about the lighting... are they TMC AquaRays?

Thanks Tetra! these are TMC Growbeams 500, these have been over this tank previously for about 3 months now and the tank remained well. The effect they give off is quality though. They are quite expensive though.

@ Gill, hopefully people will notice the tank, and think more about our great hobby.

Awesome job Ian. This is what the hobby needs. Getting planted tanks into the LFS.

Great design, and with a square tank and a central in/out, you've done a great job :thumbup:

Thanks Mark! It was hard to try and disguise the in and out.

They are keeping up with the water changes as well...

Great to know that shop owners are willing to hand over the reigns a little. When people see planted aquariums like this it will only promote the hobby. Great fish choice too, the aquajardin stand at Aquatics live had a display tank with blue neon rams and they look stunning.
Great job.
Ady.

thanks for the comment Ady!!

Been up to the shop today and the tank is looking really healthy, no melt 'yet'. No signs of any algae, customers of the shop seem to be happy with the look of the tank.

heres a few pics of the tank...
Front veiw
aq4.jpg

side veiw
aq1.jpg

the shops other display tank
aq2.jpg

the planted in focus
aq3.jpg

as you walk into the shop
aq5.jpg

Neon blue ram
aq6.jpg

Thanks Paulo, apparently its still doing well...have been busy at work all week, so i haven't been able to get up to check all's well. The owners are very good and will keep on top of things.

Back