• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I would like to get a Betta

Martin cape

Hi guys. I would like to get a Betta for my community tank but I don't know if its suitable.

It's a Rio 180, kept at 25 degrees.
I dose EI and inject CO2.
Water has KH 5.5 and GH of 7.
I do 50% water change every week.
Currently I have 10 Cherry Barbs, 8 Lampeye, 2 Julii Cory and a lone Flame Gourami.

As far as water flow goes, I have the JBL e1501 output through a spray bar and 2 Koralia Nano's either side.

I have plenty of plants, Amazon Swords, Anubias and Stem plants.

Would any if this be unsuitable for one?

Lol big list :)

I'm assuming you are on considering your typical selective bred male Betta splendens.
Well, a lot of people back away from bettas in larger tanks because apparently they dont like large open spaces that much however you seem to have quite a few plant so you should be ok in that respect.
Regarding compatability it is hit and miss with siamese fighters, some are argressive with other fish some are more docile, I would think your problem would be with the flame gourami mainly, as gouramis can harass bettas pretty bad.
I would think you would have too much flow personally for a siamese fighter, especially the longer tailed or 'dumbo' variants. You may however be better of with one of the wild type of Betta species, however they are not all 'easy' fish to keep.
Overall I would advise against a betta, I think you would be much much better increasing your Corydoras numbers to 8-10 :)

Hi Martin,
Betta Splendens (the one I mean in my "Cruelty" thread and the most traded ones) would be - to my opinion - "sort of" suitable for your tank if not the flame gourami (I agree with Palm Tree on this one). These Bettas (and Gouramis actually) vary in personality but a gamble is not what you want. So, I would not risk it for your Rio, to be honest... I run two tanks which are planted "large" nanos which are suitable for Bettas (Splendens) - both always occupied. I am proud to say that each Betta lives there for a long time untill truly old and passing away with an old age. Although I belive the size of the tank is not that important for these fish as actual tank mates... Wild bettas, by the way, are much less tolerant on water parameters as Betta Splendens, so I would do a very good research before introducing any of these... Wild type Bettas are also much harder to find... By the way, I agree on the Corys numbers needing to be increased (but I do remember you lost some so you may disregard this as adding new corys may be risky - unless your issue with the substrate is sorted).

Hi. I've decided against a Betta :(. Don't think it would be suitable really.

The last Flame Gourami was found before whilst doing a trim. Dead. That's all 4 gone now. Like on one of my previous threads, they must have had a disease. 3 lasted 1 week, last one about 2 and a half. No good.

I wouldn't mind getting more corys, but I lost 6 from a batch of 8. Last 2 are spot on, don't know what happened to the others.

Only fish that I seem to do well with ate smaller fish. Cherry Barbs, Lampeye and Rainbow are all thriving. Even my 6 Oto's lol. They are elusive mind.

Firstly, sorry for your loss.
Secondly, good job you decides against the Betta, they love higher temps (28ºc) which your Jullii's and lampeyes wouldn't like (the cherrys MIGHT be ok at that temp).

I'd lose your 2 julii's (I suspect these are the more commonly sold trilliniatus) and up the lampeye numbers to 10. Might even have enough room to up both the Barbs and the lampeyes to 12.

Don't take this the wrong way but if you lost 4 gouramis and 6 corydoras it may not be disease, you way wan't to think about other possible causes.

Somethings making them kick the bucket. Are you seeing anything unusual on the dead fish? Any lumps or bumps, sores ect..? Whats your readings for Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

But my other fish are thriving. So it can't be water parameters.
The other fish may be used to the water parameters, so that could explain why only the new fish are dying. Just a thought. Dwarf gourami's can sometimes be a bit finicky and weak, its the Corydoras that surprises me.

There's many reasons for loosing fish,
Stress
Water conditions
Diet
Disease

Poor environmental conditions are usually the start of it, if the conditions are good and the diet is good then most fish will overcome most diseases,

Shame you've knocked the idea of a betta splendens on the heard, as they are superb fish, I'm currently playing around with the idea of a female only aquarium = lots of different colours

I went with another batch of Cherry Barbs. Trying to get them to breed. Got 20 in there now. Feeding them frozen food etc. they seem to go nuts and a couple are spending a lot of time by the moss :)

If you're looking for a type of anabantid, i love honey gouramies and a small group of say 6 or 8 are fascinating to watch.

Back