• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I rushed the hardscape, now I'm halfway cycled. Can I change it up?

• Is it just me or do I feel like with all this effort algae really won't be a problem here for me? Does it usually start growing after a certain period of time being planted?

Everyone gets algae, and everyone has algae in their tanks to a greater a lesser extent, even in the best tanks - ultimately it is a natural part of the aquatic environment, so to an extent we have to learn to embrace it. So you most definitely will get algae of one form or another at some point in your tank - so prepare yourself mentally for that! lol The key is to prevent it taking such a strong hold that you need to start throwing complete plants away or taking severe corrective measures - prevention is always better than cure!

The key is to minimise it to the point that you can personally tolerate. Dealing with algae is much like dealing with weeds in the garden - some don't mind having a few here and there, some are perfectly happen letting everything grow completely naturally without intervention, whilst some want every possible piece eliminated for that perfectly manicured look.

You'll probably fall more into the latter group going for an Iwagumi look, so you'll have to expend more time and effort preventing and removing it. Getting the correct CO2 (quantity and distribution), ferts and water change schedule down pat from day one will give the best possible chance of minimising any algae from the start and through that difficult 3-4 month break in period.

GREAT to learn about a better fertilizer. The tip to get NilocG was absolute gold. Already ordered some. Thanks :)
Great move :thumbup:
1633555020209.png

Not only will your plants be getting better levels of ferts you will also be saving money, you may not even need the standard dose of Thrive as Flourish is so weak

Back