• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Hi all, I think it looks great, but I'm not convinced it is BBA, it looks the wrong green (more like a green algae?).

cheers Darrel

Colour depends on light (period and intensity) as well as temperature. BBA in my tank is always green - high light, 26C.

Hi all,
BBA in my tank is always green
It definitely can be green, and in George's shot the algae is artistically blurred, so BBA definitely remains the most likely ID.

My thought that it might be a "Green Algae" was because BBA is a <"Red Algae (Rhodophyta)"> and it contains accessory pigments (phycoerythrin, phycocyanin, and allophycocyanin) which alter the "leaf" hue away from "grass" green.

The Green Algae just have chlorophylls a & b, the same as in all the <"higher plants">.

cheers Darrel

Reactions: xim
Colour depends on light (period and intensity) as well as temperature. BBA in my tank is always green - high light, 26C.

Yes it can be green but not that kind of green. I've had some tuft of dense short fuzzy algae and green coloured BBA. They don't look the same.

Hi all, It definitely can be green, and in George's shot the algae is artistically blurred, so BBA definitely remains the most likely ID.

My thought that it might be a "Green Algae" was because BBA is a <"Red Algae (Rhodophyta)"> and it contains accessory pigments (phycoerythrin, phycocyanin, and allophycocyanin) which alter the "leaf" hue away from "grass" green.

The Green Algae just have chlorophylls a & b, the same as in all the <"higher plants">.

cheers Darrel

yes, although 'Chantransia' stages are phycocyanin and chlorophyll a

it does look more like a moss, or well grazed BBA under high light

This is what I mean. The green algae in this image are not BBA.
Urban+Aquaria+-+64+Litre+Tank+-+Forest+Edge+-+Crossocheilus+Siamensis+-+Juvenile+-+01.jpg

Here are some tufts of green BBA.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTi46HO1mc2Rzc8DFQ3PHIB1jV-QBqAmyFa-Me0-liY-iEtGEZZ.jpg

And here is the mix of short green algae and BBA on the same wood.
IMG_0017.jpg

(Image from ryubui's Photobucket)

Back