• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I have dug a hole, can you suggest a way out?

peaches

I have been out of the hobby a couple of years. I missed my fishkeeping so I bought a new tank, 125 litres. I wanted to grow a carpet in front of the aquarium. I bought elocharis sps, java fern, anubias nana and cryptocorine wendtii. Did a bit of reading and thought I would start the carpet off using a dry start method. I also bought wood which is soaking. I put in the substrate, wetted it, divided up the hairgrass and planted it in my planned carpet area. Looked at my other plants, then realised the mistake. I could probably plant the crypts, but the anubias and the java fern need to be grown above the substrate dont they? so I would have to attach them to the wood pieces. So I have to keep these plants going until I'm ready to flood the tank (am I correct or is there an alternative?).

Yes I feel a bit foolish, but having been out of the hobby for a while, I didnt think things through. as I was wanting to get on with the tank during the bank holiday week.

Right, the plants are tropica brand and are totally sealed in those plastic capsules. How long will they keep? How long before the elocharis starts to root a little so they wont all float to the top when I fill the tank ? Why dont they have a best before date?

Which eleocharis species?

Tropica blister packs?
As long as plants are currently in good condition, they should be fine for another few weeks - depending upon storage conditions ..... I think cool room temperature & moderate lighting

During the dry start, I'm not sure why the potted plants could not just be stored in the damp tank - they should continue to grow in their emersed state
Care must be taken with the Microsorum species as they don't like any drying of the leaf (easier if immersed in water)

Put a bowl of water (mixed like you would for the tank) in the tank in a spot you aren't growing your carpet. Pop the plants that need to be under the water in that. If you have your lights on longer/brighter than you would normally to maximise the carpet growth keep an eye out for algae in the bowl and just shade it if necessary to reduce the light for that area.

Thank you all for your helpful replies. Its Elocharis acicularis "Mini" from Tropica in 123 grow pots. The other plants are in Tropica blister packs. Now some of you suggest unpacking them into a bowl, others leave in blister pack. To be honest Im unsure about what to do. They look healthy and moist but would they be better in our out? I can put pics on if need be.

I am waiting on my wood which is soaking too.

Back