• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

i beg u to help me.

Charbel1011

Im literally in tears on how much time, money i spent on that tank. Please bear with me so i can explain. So i started this aquarium 2 weeks ago. Its 72 gallons. Im running 2 chihiros rgb vivid 2. Im running co2 as well. I made a mistake at the beginning i was running lights 100% intensity. After starting to get hair algae. This forum helped me lower my lights. So i did. And that was 4 days ago. So what i did was 50% water change. People told me to start adding liquid fertilizer. So im using apt3. I started dosing 4 times a week. I have good co2 level, and fertz in the water. My soil is tropica soil. It does release a bit of ammonia. But the algae has been getting worse in those 4 days. I have brown algae on the glass, and soil + in addition i have hair algae everywhere. Please tell me what should i do? I added benefitial bacters 2 days ago. And i wanna get it cycled. Any advice? The algae is insane. Am i worried too much or this is normal? This is my water test results, and the video of my algae during the dsy booming am i worrying too much? What my next step should be?, algae is insane everyday excuse my accent. I dont even know at this point what should be doing or even if my tank is cycling

Attachments

• received_627751051896510.jpeg
    received_627751051896510.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 46

plantnoobdude

Hi, number one thing to do in this case is reduce light to maybe 30-40% chihiros rgb are a beast of a light.
check co2, i'd recommend a drop checker and double check with a ph pen if you have the funds. ensure goodflow around the tank aswell. around 10x is sufficient.
for the first couple of weeks, daily water changes are recommended. and as much algae removal as possible. It looks mostly like diatoms, they go away relatively quickly with good maintenance. check out some articles on the 2hraquarist website on co2 optimisation, and plant and tank maintenance. no need to freak out, new tanks get algae, thats all part of it. good luck!

medlight

You should focus that aquarium on the maintenance of more plant mass, taking into account that it is a new tank and also with a nutritious substrate, it would save the fertilizer in the first month and counting that you expand the plant mass, otherwise you will not be able to stabilize it well and problems will follow

Hufsa

Remember to take a deep breath, almost all tanks go through an ugly phase, this is part of the normal process. You havent ruined it and nothing is beyond repair. It might get worse before it gets better, but the tank needs time to stabilize. If you have reduced your light according to advice, and you are feeding your plants, I wouldnt worry. Daily water changes will help, but it will still need a bit of time. We are here with you along the way 🤗

PARAGUAY

Keep updating and take a look at the journals for similar issues in the early days of a planted tank

jaypeecee

Hi @Charbel1011

It's sometimes overwhelming for people when they take their first journey into the aquatics hobby. So much to take on board. Not only fish and other livestock to consider but aquatic plants too. Personally, I would advise reading up as much as you can before taking that first leap. Obviously, there is plenty of user experience here on UKAPS so there's a good start. And, there is the 2Hr Aquarist at:

One of the things that will already be apparent to you is that there is more than one path to a successful tank.

Above all, take your time and enjoy the journey. Try not to put yourself under pressure. Draw up a plan and float it past the UKAPS community. Then, when you have a clear route forward, get started.

JPC

jaypeecee

Hi @Charbel1011

I'd like to make one other observation/comment. You are starting with a large tank - 270 litres by my reckoning. Is it worth putting that on hold for the moment and starting on something smaller - say, 30 to 50 litres?

JPC

Konsa

Im literally in tears on how much time, money i spent on that tank. Please bear with me so i can explain. So i started this aquarium 2 weeks ago. Its 72 gallons. Im running 2 chihiros rgb vivid 2. Im running co2 as well. I made a mistake at the beginning i was running lights 100% intensity. After starting to get hair algae. This forum helped me lower my lights. So i did. And that was 4 days ago. So what i did was 50% water change. People told me to start adding liquid fertilizer. So im using apt3. I started dosing 4 times a week. I have good co2 level, and fertz in the water. My soil is tropica soil. It does release a bit of ammonia. But the algae has been getting worse in those 4 days. I have brown algae on the glass, and soil + in addition i have hair algae everywhere. Please tell me what should i do? I added benefitial bacters 2 days ago. And i wanna get it cycled. Any advice? The algae is insane. Am i worried too much or this is normal? This is my water test results, and the video of my algae during the dsy booming am i worrying too much? What my next step should be?, algae is insane everyday excuse my accent. I dont even know at this point what should be doing or even if my tank is cycling
Hi there.
Nothing too scary going on in there.You can definitely turn it arround.I started a nano recently with mature filter and after the initial plant melt that wiped 80%of the plants it took 6 +weeks to see some positive signs of some growth and system settling at last.
You already have the advice of reducing light intensity, changing water and manual removing of any algae you can.
I see mainly green algae going.They are a bit of a nuisance to get rid off sometimes as you can't nuke them with Easycarbo (or similar products) like you do BBA and staghorn
I will not advice to stop dosing ferts.You more likely will starve the plants rather than the algae.
You can try a blackout for few days(Blackouts are very effective against green algae).Then good scrub of the tank ,large water change and filter clean.
The tank has very low plant mass.
I will strongly suggest to get some floating plants and fast growing stems after the blackout if you opt for one (such as Limnophila sessiliflora or Limnophila hererophilla, Pogostemon Quadrifolius, Hygrophila Siamensis B53, Hygrophila polisperma ....all of those are easy and rampant growers) to help you till tank settles in.If you don't like them in the long run you can replace/remove them later.

Regards Konstantin

Last edited:

Charbel1011

Everybody thinks that. :)
Could you tell us about your injection and distribution, and how you are monitoring it?
I would keep up with the water changes, and add some more fast growing plants as recommended by @Konsa .
Yes i have co2art drop checker, and i have gla co2 reactor. so 100% dissolve. it took me a week to make the drop checker on the bright green color. wasn't easy.

GHNelson

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
This application below will help!

My current project, set-up on the 1st of January 2022!
No issues other than organic waste which is to be expected when you have a high plants mass, plus both the Rotalas were emersed plants!
P1070478.JPG

P1070482.JPG

hoggie

Last edited:

hypnogogia

@Charbel1011 I think the challenge you have is that you’ve decided to start the hobby on a large, 1500cc motorbike rather than on a 250cc. Everything runs much more quickly on a high tech tank using high light and CO2 when compared to low tech (no CO2 and lower light). Things can therefore get out of hand quickly. Things that I and others have noticed noticed/mentioned already:

Insufficient plant mass. I’d add lots of floating plant, egeria dense, as well as limnobium. You can always remove these once stabilised. Also put in more planted plants - look at the small tanks above and how much plant matter they contain.
Reduce your light further
Do daily water changes for the first two weeks, then reduce to 3X weekly. Watch carefully before reducing more. Eventually you’ll just do 1x weekly.
What is the fertiliser you are adding? Is it NPK or micro only?
Your cycle has started as your ammonia is not sky high, nitrite is low and you have developing nitrates .
All new tanks get those algae. The brown ones are called diatoms and they cover and can choke everything, get a toothbrush and use that to roll the diatoms onto the brush and extract them.
Make sure you have good flow all round the aquarium.
Move your drop checker around each day to check that it turns light green in all locations - this will help ensure that your CO2 is properly distributed,

I stated the hobby as a child and have been involved on and off for 40 years and I went through the same thing as you are when I started my current tank 4 years ago. It’s hard work, sometimes demoralising but worth it once you’re through that startup phase, so stick at it.

Last edited:

Courtneybst

Hey,

Like others have suggested I would agree that you should increase your plant mass. It looks fairly sparse and it's ideal to have as much plant mass as possible in the beginning. I'd go with the plants that have been recommended already.

The tank doesn't look that bad at all to me, looks pretty normal, not ideal but not abnormal. If you follow the advice given I'm sure you'll have success. 🙂

Happi

in general, no matter how good you are, you can still get algae. especially if the tank is new, your main issue is due to tank being recently setup and there will be lot of organic and Nutrients which will release into the water, you can expect Ammonia/Ammonium spikes and if the soil is ADA type soil then this algae is result of whatever I just mentioned. I would strongly advice to not dose any liquid fertilizer at this point. let the plant settle and try to add more fast growing plants well as floaters.

I encounter the same algae whenever I setup a new tank with aqua soil and the only way I got rid of it was to put a hold on my liquid fertilizer and increase the plant mass, it will eventually give up. it seems to enjoy the Ammonia/Ammonium and will grow rapidly.

I also want to add that at this point high CO2 is not going to help either, on the contrary it actually make this algae grow even faster.

Happi

Hi @Happi

Are you referring to a particular species of algae? If so, may I ask - which?

Thanks.

JPC
yes, this one which looks like spider webs which appear to have grey/green color. I think the OP is facing brown and green algae at the same time, soon as you remove it, it will be back the very next day. I would expect aggressive GDA as well during this stage.

Micscape Microscopy and Microscope Magazine

you might need to use microscope to verify which kind of algae it might belong to.

Last edited:

Happi

Which one? There are several species shown on the linked page.

Have you viewed it under a microscope?

JPC
I personally haven't used a microscope to view most of the Algae but from what I see from the OP video, it looks like mix of filamentous algae and Diatom algae.

filamentous algae of some kind will form clumps that will start to float around on the water surface as well. it produce lot of O2 under high light and rich co2. it look something like this and very hard to get rid of:

1642890736064.png

OP should post some close up pics so we could get better idea.