• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I am failing with a low tech

That would be one of the best replies I have seen for a long time.

Yes this community is great!

Just bought this on Amazon:
BQl8O6E.jpg

Wish me luck!

The PAR value is a little surprising.... In theory it should be enough. I'd like to hear some more commentary from others though.

Dolan

Have you cleaned the filter using the old tank water?
If you have any carbon in the filter please remove it as its not required at all.

Keith:wave::wave:

Is it ok to keep the carbon if you dose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you cleaned the filter using the old tank water?

Nope, I am aware that disrupts the autotrophic bacteria which can kill fish

If you have any carbon in the filter please remove it as its not required at all.

Nope, no carbon!

Is it ok to keep the carbon if you dose?

I have read you can keep carbon, but it's counter productive because the carbon takes out the stuff u are dosing.

That was flat on the glas of a 29 gallon tank

No its 32 PAR. The flat on glass he also did, which he got a reading of 36 PAR.

Refer to the video at 1:28. You can see the PAR meter on the substrate

I don't know, maybe he measured it wrong. But he's Aquarium Co-Op, and I hear they are good

Curious to see whether anyone can grow any meaningful plants with this light as well. It's got me intrigued with it's low wattage!!!!

Curious to see whether anyone can grow any meaningful plants with this light as well. It's got me intrigued with it's low wattage!!!!

I will keep you all posted dont worry

By the way, what do you people think about adding soil underneath my substrate? Someone here mentioned that the substrate is too low, which is also another reason why I am thinking about it

Dolan

Re the substrate and all those Sword plants.

My advice is rather drastic but it will guarantee far better and healthier tank.
Start afresh only using a good quality Substrate and a good depth. Only use half of those Swords as in the new set up the will grow big and fast with plenty of new young plants .

Carbon can be use after treating a tank with medications and removed a few days later..

Keith:wave::wave:

6 Week update:

Algae problem is much much better with the addition of those floating plants and dosing. However the Amazon swords are still stunted. S. Repens are pretty much dead

I have been reading Walsted's "Ecology of a planted aquarium", and I think it must be because the root feeders are not getting enough nutrients because of my crappy substrate.

Thus, I am thinking of re-substrating the fish tank with soil.

What do you guys think?

dwe1PPl.jpg

ZVLtNhs.jpg

RbkEsiq.jpg

llWI7li.jpg

Looking much better. What did you dose?

I think you are on the right track from now. Just do regular waterchanges (sucking out the muck) and attack the algae, clean the glass and the leaves (if needed cut them off) with algae constantly.

I can see plenty of diatoms that you can remove.

I would remove that heater/ rock and give it a good scrub.

Rootfeeders is a misleading term. They can feed from the column more easy. Their very large rootsystem has more to do with anchoring the plant in their flooding habitat more then feeding through their roots.( and their natural habitat being realy nurrient poor)

The new growth on the floaters looks pretty good, you want to sort through and take and brown/damaged sections out - you've got a lot with parts under the water instead of floating and they'll just rot. Save the good parts, discard the rest. It's probably just where you added them recently.

Syphon out all the mulm, around the plant bases and remove any damaged leaves. The old leaves won't grow/improve in condition, so just watch the new growth, if that stays healthy and looks good you are sorted.

Back