• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hygrophila polysperma "rosanervig" losing white veins

SamTheMan

Hi everyone, I bought some hygrophila polysperma "rosanervig", it grew really well, good white colouration, I have trimmed it 5-6 times now, the new growth always had the white veins, I trimmed it a few days ago and almost all of the new growth has reverted back to the regular polysperma colouration. I am assuming it doesn't have enough light, but some of the growth on other sections in the tank are fine. pics are a bit bad but oh well.

1706295488133.png

Attachments

• DSCN2130.JPG
    DSCN2130.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 27
  • DSCN2131.JPG
    DSCN2131.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 28
Hi,
I have a similar rosanervig problem, except all my new, immersed leaves looked like yours. Only the original, emersed leaves showed the white vein coloration, not the new ones. I went to a more reliable shop, bought some more, and planted it into the old bush. Now I have them mixed, the newly bought plant shows the pattern I expected, on the new leaves too. I think the first one might not be rosanervig after all.
rosanervig.jpg

This variety gets his red colouration from a virus I believe, with good lighting and the closer the light the redder, l have some and fter trims it's mainly reverted back to healthy green and shows a slight colour tinge at the tops

@AquaBonsai99

It’s probably reverting to type. That is, its original parent type. It’s pretty common with variegated varieties. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about it. Just makes sense for a plant to grow leaves with more chlorophyll, greater energy production. These leaves are much more vigorous and will eventually take over.

It could be the plant has adapted to, and overcome, the virus. Nature nearly always seems to find a way to thwart our best efforts.

It’s probably reverting to type. That is, its original parent type. It’s pretty common with variegated varieties. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about it. Just makes sense for a plant to grow leaves with more chlorophyll, greater energy production. These leaves are much more vigorous and will eventually take over.

It could be the plant has adapted to, and overcome, the virus. Nature nearly always seems to find a way to thwart our best efforts.
yeah, I think that's what the problem is. I think will replace the rosanervig with something else, as i have it growing as 3 small midground bushes, and have regular polysperma in the background.

Back