• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hydro Ripple hang on back

FishKeeper55

Hi Everyone

Wanted to share some info with you specially if you like me and not very experienced with hang on back filters ect.

I always question if there is much space for additional media as online picture don't show this very well unless you look at the likes of eheim? how well the skimmer function work? From pictures below you can see the box is huge, this one draws water from side to back then front, hmm is this the best idea? not so sure possibly will change how the flow works, picture attached, place foam on rear of basket and place solid divider in front of it about 3/4 length so you forcing the water to go down then up through bio media and you can top with floss or purigen if you like.

I'm a big fan of canister filters and using JBL e402 on nano cube with adjustable flow works for me and is very very quite, I have to look at the water flow to tell if it works but this hang on back in not very loud giving the pump is placed outside, I'm impressed.

I was very sceptical about how the skimmer function will work, I placed the filter in tank and the floating part looks to be working, doesn't sink or anything, checked on full flow and minimal flow, how well it cope with clearing the surface scum I guess time will tell. There is no adjustment for how much it gets drawn from bottom/top like you get on eheim tidal but I guess you could block some of the holes on lower intake pipe to force more skimmer function.

Advert shows sort of black colour unit, well mine as you can see is sort of clear, due to size you will need decent amount of space behind tank about 11.5cm, width of box is 16.5cm

Overall I'm impressed with functionality and for the price I don't think you can go wrong. I have ordered the 320l/h model for £10.50 AQUARIUM EXTERNAL FILTER ULTRA ECO HANG ON FISH TANK PUMP SKIMMER CASCADE FLOW | eBay

Few pictures, if you have any questions let me know.

20210305-175249.jpg

20210305-180536-1.jpg

Filter-Flow.png

Picture of intake pipe with skimmer floating part, it has rubber ring around it and I guess this is to aid the floating part, also not sure if you would want to but the cartridges they provide with this you can open them up so no need to order new ones and you can just remove carbon and fit foam ect.

20210305-191820.jpg

Thanks. I have looked at every nano filter option in the world! None seem quite right for me. Space around the tank for me is a problem and fitting in with my existing lights etc etc. Did you fit media in yet? How is it all going?
Cheers!

Thanks. I have looked at every nano filter option in the world! None seem quite right for me. Space around the tank for me is a problem and fitting in with my existing lights etc etc. Did you fit media in yet? How is it all going?
Cheers!
Yes, I managed to fit nearly all media from the JBL 402e canister filter :), what I done is cut smaller strips of foam and place it on a side where the intake pipe attaches to pump, thats where the water gets drawn on top of that I placed filter floss, all this is on left hand side of filter works as prefilter sort of thing then water will go to the right hand side chamber and on right hand side I cut medium foam and placed sort of back to front, then I have bio media mix in front of that with another sponge on top just to stops the shrimps climbing in.

Filter runs fine, after 24h I had a bit of rabbling noise but removed the impeller and added some vaseline and has been nice and quite since, also had to cut very fine strips of foam and place it inside the skimmer pipe which stops the floating bit working well so some sort of mesh would be better option but keeps water very clean on top

Dislikes so far if you get any plants trapped inside the skimmer section it can be a bit of pain to get it out apart from that I don't think you can go wrong, having purigen not ideal as it just restricts the water flow to much, my personal opinion. I think works great and it does what it should.

20210312-201308.jpg
20210312-201220.jpg

This looks good for the price @FishKeeper55 - I like the idea of the easily removable cartridges for maintenance, and the combination surface skimmer.

I assume the water enters the filter at the base of the inlet pipe where it attaches to the bottom of the body? Do you have an image showing how you prefilter this?

What is the flow like? It looks decent on the photo, despite being filled with media. I was really disappointed on the lack of flow on my Seachem Tidal 55, and the fact that it filters bottom up makes it a PITA to clean, so I’m interested in this unit.

This looks good for the price @FishKeeper55 - I like the idea of the easily removable cartridges for maintenance, and the combination surface skimmer.

I assume the water enters the filter at the base of the inlet pipe where it attaches to the bottom of the body? Do you have an image showing how you prefilter this?

What is the flow like? It looks decent on the photo, despite being filled with media. I was really disappointed on the lack of flow on my Seachem Tidal 55, and the fact that it filters bottom up makes it a PITA to clean, so I’m interested in this unit.
Hi Wookii

I'm going try to explain as best as I can so here it goes:

Intake pipe have cuts on to allow water to get drawn in, right on top of this I placed coarse foam strips then toped up with filter floss - better solution would be to get a block of coarse foam and cut to shape to fill the whole section instead of messing with strips of foam but I had to make do with what I had. Please see attached pictures

If you pack the right hand side chamber to much with filter media you will notice the water will start to overflow on the left side chamber, you can see in pics how much I sort of aimed, do you need any bio media in this? I think is personnel choice more then need.

Flow is not to bad giving I stuff the filter as much as I did, link to short video provided but i don't think is sufficient if you using co2 ect., for that you would have to free the filter up a bit more

20210313-170350.jpg
20210313-170442.jpg
20210313-170613.jpg
20210313-170756.jpg
20210313-170926.jpg
20210313-171033.jpg

Back