• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Huge shrimp die off :( :(

yeah I didn't think I would be able to pin point the issue, but always good to vent and get opinions. I would say the water as well but its the same water I used to do a 80% water change on other tanks with shrimp.

I am praying that there will be no further casualties when I get home.

Just a small update.

Cherry shrimp are still dying off, I am finding around 5-10 a day now, crystals are still going strong and I am yet to find any more dead, babies and adults are doing fine.

I have a new tank ready for the shrimp and I am going to move the cherries over to that, I can only put this down to a water parameter issue, maybe the water is OK for the crystals but lacking something for the cherries.

Maybe the water change triggered a moult and the parameters aren't quite right for the cherries and that's causing an issue - the water change made it really obvious as they did it in bulk?

Maybe the water change triggered a moult and the parameters aren't quite right for the cherries and that's causing an issue - the water change made it really obvious as they did it in bulk?
That’s actually a very sensible suggestion, especially if you’re not adding mineral supplements via food. Cherries can be prone to failed moults if deficient in minerals.

That’s actually a very sensible suggestion, especially if you’re not adding mineral supplements via food. Cherries can be prone to failed moults if deficient in minerals.

That's the only other thing I can think of that would only affect the cherries.

I do add minerals in the form of shrimp ming mineral food and montmorillonite clay

I do add minerals in the form of shrimp ming mineral food and montmorillonite clay

Also:

RO water remineralized with MgSo4 and CaSo4 to a GH of 6, O KH

Assuming your calculated remin values are correct, that should be plenty of Ca for moulting - although they do seem to do better in harder water I would have thought it would be unlikely to cause a mass die off.

I would’ve thought it would be the other way round crystals dying not cherries, very strange! Sorry I can’t be of any help.

Back