• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to use Osmocote?

FishWorks

Hi all,

Can I get some advice on how to use Osmocote?
I have read about the dangers of it leaching ammonia into the water column, so I am a little scared of this.
Will be using Aquasoil with EI ferts.

My current knowledge is:
For most plants, 1 pellet per plant? bury atleast 1 inch deep?
For carpets, should I bury 1 pellet per square inch? bury atleast 1 inch deep?

Another idea I have is to use it on root feeders only to minimize leaching of ammonia to the water column, so for example on plants like alternanthera reinecki.
Bury 2-3 pellets under each root feeding plant? bury atleast 1 inch deep?
I think its easy to identify the root feeders, because when the ammoniacal nitrogen in the aquasoil runs out, the root feeders begin to do poorly.

Thanks!

Do you really need it with aquasoil and EI?
I think When the ammoniacal nitrogen in the aquasoil runs out, the plants will feed off the EI fertz in the water column?

But What about long term for root feeders like alternanthera reinecki?

Hi all,

Can I get some advice on how to use Osmocote?
I have read about the dangers of it leaching ammonia into the water column, so I am a little scared of this.
Will be using Aquasoil with EI ferts.
What soil are you using? If new and it's Amazonia or the like you don't need any for at least a good 6 months or a year if you are running a high tech tank decently planted. Could be much more if running low tech or less if running a densely planted tank.
For most plants, 1 pellet per plant? bury atleast 1 inch deep?
For carpets, should I bury 1 pellet per square inch? bury atleast 1 inch deep?
You need to burry them as deep as you possibly can. The ferts will permeate anyway in the substrate with time so the deeper the better to avoid ammonia spikes. As per quantity I would go for maybe 2 or 3 per square inch. This is not an exact science so some will be better than nothing. Keep in mind that these are usually of some flashy color, yellow usually, and once empty they tend to come back up specially when you uproot. They become unsightly. That's why I don't use them anymore. There are other alternative, even DIY ones using clay, that will mitigate this issue.

What soil are you using? If new and it's Amazonia or the like you don't need any for at least a good 6 months or a year if you are running a high tech tank decently planted. Could be much more if running low tech or less if running a densely planted tank.

You need to burry them as deep as you possibly can. The ferts will permeate anyway in the substrate with time so the deeper the better to avoid ammonia spikes. As per quantity I would go for maybe 2 or 3 per square inch. This is not an exact science so some will be better than nothing. Keep in mind that these are usually of some flashy color, yellow usually, and once empty they tend to come back up specially when you uproot. They become unsightly. That's why I don't use them anymore. There are other alternative, even DIY ones using clay, that will mitigate this issue.
Hanuman,
I will be using Ada Amazonia.

Can I ask about depth of substrate?
I plan on using 1 inch of topsoil capped with 1.5 inch of Ada Amazonia. That's total 2.5 inches of substrate. Will this suffice for the osmocote?

Can I ask about depth of substrate?
I plan on using 1 inch of topsoil capped with 1.5 inch of Ada Amazonia. That's total 2.5 inches of substrate. Will this suffice for the osmocote?
I would say 2.5inch is just fine. It all depends in the tank height. It's all a matter of proportion. In my last tank I went I little overboard and I have 3inches but in no way it is detrimental for the plants. Quite the opposite in fact but it just makes the tank look a big off.

Now, if you are also adding highly fertile topsoil below the Amazonia I really don't see the need of using osmocote. Amazonia alone is also already loaded with nutrients.

I would say 2.5inch is just fine. It all depends in the tank height. It's all a matter of proportion. In my last tank I went I little overboard and I have 3inches but in no way it is detrimental for the plants. Quite the opposite in fact but it just makes the tank look a big off.

Now, if you are also adding highly fertile topsoil below the Amazonia I really don't see the need of using osmocote. Amazonia alone is also already loaded with nutrients.

Since ammonia in the aquasoil and topsoil will deplete in 6-12 months, I'm worried about root feeding plants in long-term.
I think you are saying the ammoniacal nitrogen from topsoil will last longer than 12 months?

Let me reiterate.
2.5 inches should be enough depth for the osmocote?
Not talking about aesthetics.

Last edited:
Since ammonia in the aquasoil and topsoil will deplete in 6-12 months, I'm worried about root feeding plants in long-term.
I think you are saying the ammoniacal nitrogen from topsoil will last longer than 12 months?
It's not only nitrogen that will partially deplete but other elements as well. It all really depend how hard you are pushing your tank etc.
As for the topsoil I have no clue what you are using since you do not give any details, so I can't tell you how long that could last.

This is not a matter of more is better and shoving as much nutrient in the soil as you can for the sake of having plants long term. Amazonia soil is literally already loaded to the brim with nutrients. Your top soil possibly too. Adding more nutrients at this stage would not be beneficial as you might end up having too much of ammonia being released in the water column as well as potentially having toxicity issues. In fact you will already experience ammonia release with the soil for a good 2 to 3 weeks. One only adds root tabs to the soil once the soil is showing signs of depletion or that you are using an inert soil to start with, which is not your case.
Let me reiterate.
2.5 inches should be enough depth for the osmocote?
Not talking about aesthetics.
As I said above, the deeper the better but in my opinion no less than 2 inches to be safe.

It's not only nitrogen that will partially deplete but other elements as well. It all really depend how hard you are pushing your tank etc.
As for the topsoil I have no clue what you are using since you do not give any details, so I can't tell you how long that could last.

This is not a matter of more is better and shoving as much nutrient in the soil as you can for the sake of having plants long term. Amazonia soil is literally already loaded to the brim with nutrients. Your top soil possibly too. Adding more nutrients at this stage would not be beneficial as you might end up having too much of ammonia being released in the water column as well as potentially having toxicity issues. In fact you will already experience ammonia release with the soil for a good 2 to 3 weeks. One only adds root tabs to the soil once the soil is showing signs of depletion or that you are using an inert soil to start with, which is not your case.

As I said above, the deeper the better but in my opinion no less than 2 inches to be safe.

Ok, so osmocote is something i will need far later.

Can I get advice on soil layering?
How thick the Amazonia layer should be?
Also, will Top Soil or Mineralized top soil be beneficial? If so, how thick should the MTS layer be?
My tank is going to be 72" x 18" x 18"

root feeders like alternanthera reinecki
I wonder if there truly exists anything like 'root feeders'. Scientific literature usually comes to conclusion that plants take where they can, i.e. where the nutrients are available. With plain silica sand, all plants grow well to me, incl. such a 'root feeder' like Echinodorus. Yes, I admit my Cryptocorynes don't go well. Possibly they'd welcome some fertilizing to the roots, but then, how to explain that I've got identical difficulties with epiphytic Bucephalandras?
when the ammoniacal nitrogen in the aquasoil runs out, the root feeders begin to do poorly.
Are you going to keep fish in your tank? Fishes permanently release ammonia in the water column.
If not, you can fertilize with ammonium, as well. Yes, @dw1305 , I fertilized with NH4NO3 while breeding Apistogrammas, incl. eggs & fry. No harm within an acidic range.
Like I said, plants take where the given nutrient is present. Some nutrients have strong tendency to get adsorbed within the substrate, the more so if you use soils containing clay minerals (like ADA Amazonia). This is true for P, NH4, and transition metals, less so for Ca and Mg. Potassium, nitrates, chlorides and sulfates do not adsorb, so they are taken up by leaves. It does not depend on species (or only marginally) but on the physico-chemical behaviour of given nutrient. . .
. . . plus on your filter. Some nutrients are prone to getting trapped within some filters.

Back