• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to start a wabi kiss

Halley

Hi, I have been looking at the wabi kusas on this site and they all look pretty great. I was wondering what do I need to do to start one. I have a glass bowl and a light from ikea. I was just going to put some used ads aquasoil into the bowl. Then put some Rotala rotundifola, crpyts, MC and Anubis in. Cover it with cling film for 2 weeks and spray it ever day. Am I missing anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,
Under the fertil substrat you should add some gravel. This will keep the water better and also will aloud roots to develop better. 3-4 mm should be OK. Then, after you finish the accommodation time and uncover it, gravel will be a good water depository and will support also the capillarity under the plants. More than that, the planting level should be lifted up to the largest circumference of the bowl : this way you will get the widest surface for planting. In my wabi kusa I've used a few pieces of polystyrene on the bottom of the bowl, then gravel and then Aqvarium Soil (3-4 cm).
Hope to see pics soon! Good luck!

Thanks - do you leave the cling film on for 2 weeks?

Yes, even more. All this time, in the bowl need to simulate a greenhouse effect. After this time, uncover it step by step.

Here's my first attempt - any guidance?
0bcbf60720e1ac722c6283ca9a38de18.jpg

I have put Anubis in - will it be ok?

Cheers - can you dose will liquid frets?

I have answered to this question to another topic where I said that, if you will have a very high humidity inside the bowl, you may use my method : when I change the water in my aqvarium and add the fertilizers, I keep 1-2 litters of water and spray it over the plants in wabi kusa, daily. But, for this, you need a real greenhouse efect in the bowl. Othewise, substrate should be enough. Again, Anubias is getting the nutrients almost exclusively from water so the water should cover the rhizom at least until Anubias is genereting the vertical roots that are penetrating the substrate. Look to this pics, from my Anubias Barteri Nana.

A2X91D4.jpg

So, after Anubias grow on the support (wood or stone) the roots grow in the substrate and help the plant to thrive. Until then, Anubias is using nutrients from water exclusively. This is not happe in wabi kusa. This because why I insisted on rising the water close to rhizom and use an universal substrate.

Back