• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

how to set up the camera for testing aquarium lights

Well, 840 has more orange than pink coloration, 830 should be more red. I'm using 840+880 ATM in my tanks, It's jsut interested what your experiment might show for 840 or 830 plus your other tube.

Yes, you have to be used a little bit to pink. Once you are looking at the tank it's ok but at a first glance it looks... Pink! Probably if your lamp fixture has several tube, having one pink is ok, but for a two bulbs fixture it might be a bit special, although fish and red plants look awesome under this light. I guess the tubes you mention are quite cheap too. I will probably give them a try.

Jordi

Hi again mates

Now that I am in front of the tank and there is plenty of daylight in the living room the pinkish glow looks veeeeeeery strange. It looks like an UFO that has landed at home. It is amazing because when you are close to the tank the effect disappears but the general aspect is not natural at all.

Jordi

Hi Jordi,
i love color discussions, everyone got something to say!
And that's true. We all see different colors for the same situation. And you can make the test, try to see if your eyes have the same rendition. (one eye at the time).
That thing about women seeing more colors than men is also 'a bit' true (there more women with better color recognition than men, don't know the percentage)
Men have also better night vision, is also 'a bit' true.
I don't know if there is the 'best color' lamp for aquarium, maybe the...
I reached that point when the best color is the one that fit's me.
Our brain auto calibrates the white balance very quickly, that's why we normally miss the color changes.
But if we have then side by side is more easy to compare, or if we move fast from different light color places.
There are some colors that activate 'low level' emotions, the ones who work in publicity knows that (for sure)!
The warm tones, of the fire, in center of the house is something that makes a living room cozy.
The tank's have the blue tone of water, the green's of plants and sometimes the red's. It can be the red's of the plants or fish's but maybe also a bit of the 'emotional fireplace' that we lost somewhere...
The best color for you is the one that pleases you more.
Maybe you can add more lamps and change the color for your mod!
color is one of those things...
cheers

Hi all,
That thing about women seeing more colors than men is also 'a bit' true (there more women with better color recognition than men, don't know the percentage)
It is funny I was looking at an artcile about this in National Geographic a couple of days ago <"Men and women really do see things differently">. There is also quite a bit in Dawkin's "The Ancestor's Tale" on colour vision.

I think it will be the majority of women who have better colour vision for a couple of reasons, one is because they wil have genes for red/green colour vision on both XX chromosomes. Men and women who carry the gene for "red/green colour blindness" will have 1 intact gene on the X chromosome (in women the other X will be the colour blindness gene carrier), and men with a damaged X gene will be "colour blind" <"Understanding Genetics">.

The "National Geographic" article says that, even where the genes for colour blindness aren't involved, women have a better ability to differentiate colours in the centre of the spectrum (greens, yellows, oranges etc).

cheers Darrel

The "National Geographic" article says that, even where the genes for colour blindness aren't involved, women have a better ability to differentiate colours in the centre of the spectrum (greens, yellows, oranges etc).
Lol... I finally purchased a Philips T5HO 840 (4.000 K)(7 euros, very nice combined with the 10.000K tube) and I was testing the lamps with miss. You know what? She says that for her, everything looks more or less the same, and that if I find these subtle differences it is because I look the aquarium too much! (which is obviously true).

So, the lesson learnt and in order to improve National Geographic statement: "women do have a better ability to differentiate colours, unless they don't really care about your stupid worries. In that case they are colour blind".

In a few days I will include a picture testing different combinations with this new lamp.

Jordi

I suspect that somewhere along our lineage when we were arboreal primates it would have been advantageous for nursing mothers to have keener colour vision to better differentiate the ripeness of fruit. Maybe?

I suspect that somewhere along our lineage when we were arboreal primates it would have been advantageous for nursing mothers to have keener colour vision to better differentiate the ripeness of fruit. Maybe?
And the men kept eating unripe or over-ripe fruit? :D

I thought they where hand fed premasticated choice pieces............ah the good old days..............
Being fed, watching the precursor of an aquarium (stream)... What more could be asked?
What a pity beer was not invented yet...

Being fed, watching the precursor of an aquarium (stream)... What more could be asked?
What a pity beer was not invented yet...

But those fruit the females discard will likely be littering the floor and will have over ripened to the point of fermentation, so the males that are left below have to take more chances with their food supply and inadvertently get to discover the delights and dangers of alcohol. Beer isn't discovered until we arrive on the Savannah and are faced with even poorer food choices! Maybe?

:)

Back