• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to remove fine scratches on glass on inside of Aquarium?

REDSTEVEO

Hi,

I have a few faint scratches which have come about as a result of getting the odd bit of sand or gravel caught up in the sponge or my glass cleaner when I have been cleaning the front glass. I just wondered if anyone has any great suggestions / ideas / foolproof methods for removing very fine surface scratches on the inside glass of the aquarium?

Cheers.

Steve

There was a small piece in PFK a few months ago that referred to a product for removing scratches from glass. IIRC it was the manufacturer that contacted the magazine with a "readers might be interested in this" and it hadn't been evaluated by anyone at PFK.

I don't have the copy to hand to check but I think it was this place ...

http://www.glassscratchrepair.co.uk/

You need to polish it out using something called cerium oxide. Briefly lower the tank water to below the level of the scratch. Dry the glass and use masking tape to seal off the tank water using a bin liner. Takes a while to do using a power drill with the polishing attachment, but it does work. Tip is to outline the scratches using a marker on the ouside of the glass as once you start to polish you'll never see where the scratches are.

I'm about to do it with my tank and have all the stuff here ready to go. I'll do a small journal with pictures when I do it. Not sure when I'll have time as it's school holidays very soon and I've also just knocked down my bathroom wall into the toilet so have got loads of DIY to do.

James

JamesC said:
I'm about to do it with my tank and have all the stuff here ready to go. I'll do a small journal with pictures when I do it. Not sure when I'll have time as it's school holidays very soon and I've also just knocked down my bathroom wall into the toilet so have got loads of DIY to do.
Look foward to that James :) have a couple of scrathes in my tank that I would like to get rid off too

And for those with young children it's unwise to leave the magnetic algae scraper in the tank when not in use. Came home one day to find some lovely scratches :mad: .

James

JamesC said:
And for those with young children it's unwise to leave the magnetic algae scraper in the tank when not in use. Came home one day to find some lovely scratches :mad: .

James

ew nice..

personally.. I think they were invented by some nasty demon type thing and should be banned for all eternity!

JamesC said:
You need to polish it out using something called cerium oxide. Briefly lower the tank water to below the level of the scratch. Dry the glass and use masking tape to seal off the tank water using a bin liner. Takes a while to do using a power drill with the polishing attachment, but it does work. Tip is to outline the scratches using a marker on the ouside of the glass as once you start to polish you'll never see where the scratches are.

James

:wideyed: Masking tape :wideyed: seal off :? bin liner :wideyed: POWER DRILL :wideyed: DIY :wideyed: Errrrr I think I'll wait for the journal........but thanks for the advice...

ps How did you manage to fit a whole bathroom wall into a toilet? :lol:
LondonDragon said:
Matt Holbrook-Bull said:
I'm not a fan of kids either :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm creased up!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
san-ho-zay said:
There was a small piece in PFK a few months ago that referred to a product for removing scratches from glass. IIRC it was the manufacturer that contacted the magazine with a "readers might be interested in this" and it hadn't been evaluated by anyone at PFK.

I don't have the copy to hand to check but I think it was this place ...

http://www.glassscratchrepair.co.uk/

Thanks Richard, I saw the stuff on website from the link..............Hmmmmmmmmm not sure but thanks anyway
Had me to the list :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:[/quote]

been looking for the journal ...has it been made.? or am i just rubbish at finding it..??
my juwel has some BAD scratches ..so bad im thinking of getting rid of it...even thou every thing else is in such good condition...
cheers.... passerby

There is a surefire 100% foolproof way to remove to remove all visible scratches from glass in just seconds-------a hammer :lol:

Re: How to remove fine scratches on glass on inside of Aquar

Does the lady in the conservatory come out to demo the kit?

conservatory1b.jpg

I wonder if james did the journal.

Did i see one of Tom's threads with a guy polishing his tank before he scaped it?

geoffbark said:
I wonder if james did the journal.

Did i see one of Tom's threads with a guy polishing his tank before he scaped it?

Yeah you did.

Back