• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to make swords grow tall?

noobscaper

I have an Echinodorus amazonicus that's started to grow nicely recently (many leaves, seem to be pretty healthy) after stuffing it with root tabs, but the leaves are still very droopy and low (around 25cm high).
Is that the average height or am I doing something wrong? How could I make it grow taller?

I have an Echinodorus amazonicus that's started to grow nicely recently (many leaves, seem to be pretty healthy) after stuffing it with root tabs, but the leaves are still very droopy and low (around 25cm high).
Is that the average height or am I doing something wrong? How could I make it grow taller?
@noobscaper Make sure you rigorously trim off any leaves that looks like they are struggling or already starting to decay - those leaves will just drag down the plant. They do not need a lot of light - I almost think of Swords as low light plants. Anyway, my swords are huge (some of the leaves are +50cm) and very healthy, my light intensity is very low as well (long hours, low intensity) and I do not inject CO2... I do plenty of NPK as well (lots of Nitrate, Phosphate and Potassium) - I used to do root tabs (Seachem) for a bit after planting them back in the day to help them establish, but stopped after a while (make sure your Iron dosing are adequate as well - they love Iron). Post a picture and more info about your tank (age, CO2, light, dosing etc.) if possible so we can see what the situation is.
Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Back