• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to keep lily pipes straight / in position?

luckyjim

Appeal for advice because this is really beginning to wind me up.

How do you keep your lily-pipes straight or in a particular position? The pipes on both of my tanks keep going askew. Apart from the irregularity detracting from the aesthetics of the tank, it means the flow and surface rippling is more difficult to control.

Is there some sort of device that locks them together, or a particular way of installing them? I feel like I am missing something really obvious here...

Possibly, I was hoping for something a little less obtrusive - like a tactful clamp that fixes the linet and outlet lily pipes together?

Playing a little bit with the tubing may help... Sometimes it is just a matter of twisting the pipe inside the tubing until it relaxes (sorry may sound strange in English but I don't know the correct words in English). I do this when I clean the lily pipes and/or filter: I install again the tubing, I insert the lily pipes and then I see how oblique they are. Most of the times, you just need to spin (maybe this verb is better...) the glass pipe inside the tubing (before it sticks to it) until the whole system relaxes and you can maintain the tubing/pipe in the position you want. For adjusting up and down, suckers are usually more than enough, although the method explain also helps to be on the better conditions to make such adjustments.

Jordi

That's actually well explained Jordi, I think I get you. I hate trying to remove lily pipes from the tubing though, it is my least favourite job! I just avoid doing it, and cut it out with a sharp knife when I absolutely have to.

I just avoid doing it, and cut it out with a sharp knife when I absolutely have to.
Yep, also me until I discovered that they are actually very easy to remove. Do not pull the piping and lily pipes in opposite directions as it will break. If you twist the tubing around the lily pipe while you pull, it can also break. Just take both parts and try to insert the lily pipe a bit deeper in the tubing (actually the opposite most people would do). This creates an air gap inside and the lily pipe can be removed very easily

Jordi

I found these 15mm knee joints in some pond shop..
7hM4kfW.jpg

They come in handy whit 16/12mm tubing. I don''t know who makes them or what brand it is. But someone obviously do make them. Anyway like this you can use shorter pieces of tubing.. Also the tubing, it is laying in the shops for who knows how long in a rolled up position. Now this stuff tends to remember this position it was last in. So it keeps trying to get back and tends to curl :).. Put that piece you are using in a hot bath till it softens up. Than put it back in place and fix it in position with tieraps or tape while its still hot/warm. When its cool again it will remember an other last form it was in. Even better if you conect an other hose to it and run cold water trough it, then it shocks a bit and gets harder quicker in that position. And soften up again when the warm aquarium water runs trough.

Back