• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to heat a shrimp Jar/Bowl

AquaBonsai99

I really want to make a shrimp bowl/jar "aquarium" for cherry shrimp and other Neocaridina but I live in the uk and my tanks get cold without a heater, and I have no idea on how to heat the bowl/jar. I could buy a Nano heater, but i think that would be overkill. I was also thinking I could place several jar/bowls on a reptile heat mat, but I'm not sure. What are your suggestions, and what do you think I should do?

no, they are on a shelf, lit up, but not in direct sunlight. thanks for the responses, and do they breed at that temp?

A simple reptile heat mat would just raise the temp above average room temp or a better one with a controller would take it a little higher.
They work very well with small cubes but not so well with tall thin vessels.

I don't think you should be experimenting with anything live in small jars, and stick to plants.
I wanted to make 4 nano cubes out of acrylic, each should be about 5 litres, for some shrimp/snails, and have some "fish"bowls as well as ecoshperes on a nano tankshelf, I have seen it before and its not too small for neos or anything like that:)

I have seen it before and its not too small for neos or anything like that:)
Me too, but doesnt necessarily make it right? Im not trying to be a knob its just a pet peeve of mine.

https%3A%2F%2Fusercontent2.hubstatic.com%2F3587203.jpg

The water temp in my shrimp bowls by the window fluctuates between 17C at night to 22C during the day in winter. Cherry shrimp are subtropical and do well in an unheated room. In fact I am more concerned about overheating in summer where temp can hit 30C in the afternoon from direct sunlight. I would not put a heater in a small bowl as there is greater risk of cooking than chilling. Although my shrimp thrive, they don’t multiply in a small volume so I’m changing direction and want to keep betta instead. However, betta are tropical and do not like winter low temp, so what other options do I have.

Pretty cool. Can you describe / photo the outside tubs? I'd be interested to see what this looks like. What kind of maintenance do you do (if any) on the outside tubs?
I'll do a photo tomorrow when I come back from work :)
They're just 90lt black pond tubs mostly,full of various pond weeds and I just give them a 50% wc once a month just to get some minerals in the water for the snails.
Populated with anything that decides to take up residence and supplement the diet of most of my fish if they're suitable.
The shrimp initially got accidentally added at some point and after seeing that they were more than happy I added more and leave them to their own devices.

Them shrimps will be happy as long as it doesn't freeze... :)

Pretty cool. Can you describe / photo the outside tubs? I'd be interested to see what this looks like. What kind of maintenance do you do (if any) on the outside tubs?
i would take a photo, but i havent made them yet!;) edit; i just realised that was directed to @MirandaB, not me, sorry

Last edited:
Me too, but doesnt necessarily make it right? Im not trying to be a knob its just a pet peeve of mine.

https%3A%2F%2Fusercontent2.hubstatic.com%2F3587203.jpg
I completely agree with you, keeping fish in bowls is wrong, and shouldn't happen. the correct use for "fish" bowls in the aquarium hobby is for plants/ for use as an ecosphere, or as a planted shrimp bowl.

Back