• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to create a muddied river bank . . .

da7a4e76bb2fc8af8edfd2bdf9095242.jpg

For the greater good!

Have you seen this by Swee Lim Cheah? I think this is the journal

1695198697246.png

Any clue what kind of plants can give that look with roots in the water? I’ve had a larg piece of drift wood that had plants growing in it when I collected it with roots that look like that

Hey @Wookii I think this technique might be the answer….

Interesting one, thanks Steve.

When he started mixing the soil with water my first thought was won't that just break down over time, but then mixed in the silicone which was interesting, and then the liquid superglue which was surprising. I would have expected that to go white underwater, but it didn't appear to. He says that it's never broken down on him for the life of the scape, but for a comp tank, I guess that's not very long.

I think when I get around to do this, I'll use pieces of lava rock as the basis, fixing them with expanding foam ala Serpa Designs, and then either a) cement over the expanded foam joints made from a similar mix of crushed soil, crushed lava rock, and silicone, or b) paste over silicone and press on ground soil and lava rock.

Last edited:
Every super glue I’ve used has left a white residue?

That is because all super glue is cyanoacrylate and this needs a reaction with moisture to cure... An average of 50% air humidity is enough for this reaction and then it will cure in a clear transparent sort of acrylic polymer and stick in a few seconds. Hence in some countries, it's known as

Sekunden | Seconds
Kleber | Glue
61OlWSed8tS._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Maybe you've experienced it takes sometimes much longer to stick, minutes instead of seconds. This is because you probably are in a heated room with very low air humidity, without notice.

If the substance you use it on is rather moist + 90% this reaction will speed up and the glue will instantly turn white.

Aquariums and no moisture?? That might be quite a challenge...

Back