• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How should the flow of the co2 bubbles be?

lakshen99

How should the flow of the co2 bubbles be from the in-tank diffuser be like? Can you guys post how your flow is like? I have mine opposite of the filter outlet and running at 1bps in a 60cm tank. Even with my co2 checker right above the diffuser the liquid does not turn green.

1 BPS isnt that much, but a good place to start, plus BPS is very only an indication of rate. many things effect the BPS which is why its only handy for slightly increasing the rate, it gives very little indication of the amount of CO2 being injected, next step take it to 2BPS (personaly I would go to 3BPS if 1 BPS gave no colour change)

The DC (Drop Checker) is best placed on opposite side of the tank from injection - reduces CO2 bubbles going into to it - allow 2hrs for DC to change colour but some are quicker
I have mine opposite of the filter outlet
Which can work well, ideally it should be pushing some of the bubbles to the substrate level and right along the bottom of tank, esp if you have a carpet

ideally it should be pushing some of the bubbles to the substrate level and right along the bottom of tank,
errr its not rlly doing that, i have adjusted my flow rate which imo is pretty high. The output from the lily pipe creates quite some surface movement and maybe diffusing off the co2 faster. But if i dont turn the flow higher, then the co2 mist wont be pushed around much. So which is the better solution.

Getting the balance right is tricky, I have a twinstar nano and the nano bubbles it produces are great for accessing the flow as they get pushed around so easy, which makes accessing the flow so much easier. Getting the flow right in a CO2 injected tank is the key to getting the CO2 delivered to the plants. Trouble with constant flow is the dead spots are constant, which is way I was so happy with the Maxspect Gyres x2, as you can vary the flow on a schedule with them ramping up individually every few minutes so the dead spots keep moving around.
Its a case of trail and error and see what works IME

My diffuser is on the right. The filter outlet at back/left, forcing the gas down and across the front of the tank.
Dropchecker is on the left.

Attachments

• IMG_20210906_112340.jpg
    IMG_20210906_112340.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 130
Back