• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How often do you fiddle with your tank?

Sacha

Let's be honest, we all do it.

Some of us fiddle once a week, some a few times a week, some of us may even fiddle several times in the same day!

So how often do you fiddle with your tank? Apart from the weekly water change, how often do you trim plants/ scrape algae/ play with the scape? For me it's probably a couple of times a week including the wwc.

OK I'll come clean and start the ball rolling...not really that often these days maybe once or twice a week, like you Sacha. I used to fiddle all the time but I think with experience you don't need to so much...I also think it depends on the type of scape and how mature it is.

Everyday (when I'm home) a few minutes in the morning to add ferts and to check everything is ok. Then in the afternoon I check everything again. But I do 2x WC a week in one of the tanks and one WC in the other... So I have basically my hands in the water every 3 days :)

Jordi

My tanks are low tech so a part from their weekly water changes I rarely put my hands in the water. I don't have a timer too and I am rather lazy so sometimes the tank is not even lit for half of the week! Good thing is that it keeps the algae under control and every time I open the lights I seem to spot new leaves too! Win win. Although, sometimes I feel I neglect them too much, hence I closed my Betta tank...

Shrimp tank, never apart from water changes once a week,
discus tank, fertilisers every morning, replant any new plants which have popped out,
Feeding in the evening,
Then twice weekly water changes, wipedown, n trim plants,

This is when I am tank happy,

There hasn't been a day in the last week that I haven't had my pokey thing in my hand or my finger over the end of my hose. A twiddle here and there with my knob on the regulator ofcause. I'm enjoying fiddling with my little........tmc. Now mot being silly, water change twice a week ei every other day.

Last edited:
Both too often and not often enough! I've just rearranged my tanks so I'm not sure how it will go looking forwards, but looking back, my two planted tanks were trimmed on average every 2 or 3 weeks. They probably needed it every weekly as the fish usually ran out of swimming room before I cut it back. I didn't have the time to do it more often though.

New tanks have been arranged very low tech so hopefully I can get away with much less.

For my low tech tank's maybe once a month .Weekly 50% water changes.( once weekly fertz)
Have an old bull bristlenose (long finned albino) currently fanning egg's, so will prolly increase volume of water changed out to 60-70% once the fry exit the breeding cave and food input increases.
Is said that plant growth in high tech CO2 injected tanks can be 10 to 15 times faster than low tech.
Can't imagine the trimming needed for these on weekly basis, but seems a good way to make some extra $$ selling trimming's.

Fiddle about sanj, you could paddle about, probably Eskimo roll in your tank.:D

Back