• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How much rock to order ?

Deano3

Hi i have a few general question as you know i am in process of buying all the parts for my planted aquarium i now have my filter and ada 60-f on order and awaiting a friend posting out a hagen glo t5 light unit, i am ordering all my co2 parts at end of month, the tank is 60cm long i want iwagumi style just wondering how much mini landscaping rock you think i will require 10kg ? also what is the easiest hardy carpet plant to start with as first planted tank, also been searching on y do plants melt but cannot seem to find anythin any help would be great

thanks dean

Deano, this is not a question we can answer. Each scape is individual. And different pieces of rock weigh different amounts. The only way is to go along and look at the bits available and decide what pieces you want. Alternatively contact TGM (one of our sponsors) as they will often pick out pieces according to your specification.

Read one of the threads or articles on Iwagumi and the importance of the various rocks, then you will know what sort of sizes you want in relation to your tank.

There are numerous threads on here journalling Iwagumi style rocks so there should be plenty of inspiration.

:)

Ok thanks no actual shops local to me, will be buying from AE as a lot cheaper like u say might ring up and say looking for a large piece and a few smaller pieces to put around it, can anyone give a link on the subject of melting plants just wondering if they are meant to do this as part of process or what ? Will have a look at those carpets when get home onto laptop so thanks mate

What plants look good on iwagumi style as a background plant behind the rock etc and think I might try dry start to kick start the carpet

Thanks Dean

Really like the glosso and the first grass you listed and also the second lol can you keep the grasses nice and short and what is easier the grasses or glosso ?

Thanks for time
Dean

Deano3 said:
Really like the glosso and the first grass you listed and also the second lol can you keep the grasses nice and short and what is easier the grasses or glosso ?

Thanks for time
Dean

Hi dean, the grasses will be easier than the glosso but if your co2 and flow are ok then the glosso should flourish.
Melting plants are nearly always a sure sign of insufficient flow with co2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a huge eheim filter/ heater so will be plenty of flow and also have co2 , would like to go with the glosso but as new hope everything goes ok, I will need to see how many pots to order in my size tank next lol any idea on background plants ? So melt is caused my to much co2 in one part of aquarium not being dispersed properly thanks mate

Thanks dean

Hi Dean
Melt us usually caused by insufficient CO2 getting to the plants. You could be pumping in tons, but if does not get distributed around the tank its wasted. Your filter is plenty adequate as long as you bear in mind obstructions as well as flow rate. IE if you direct all the flow and its then dissipated by two big iwagumi rocks it wont distribute the CO2 properly :)

Glosso: The best way to get a good carpet is to plant INDIVIDUAL stems. This is NOT easy but take your time and its achievable. I believe 1cm apart. How much area do you want to cover in glosso ? Also, look back over Mark Evans's 120cm journal that ran before his current one. He had a mix of plants in his carpet, and this to my mind looks much more natural. You mentioned background plants, and oddly, one of the ones mentioned as a carpet plant works well as a background in a tank of your size... and that would be Eleocharis Parvula. Again, separate this into small groups of strands... I have just finished planting a pot of it and it made about 30 individual plantings :)

Thanks again mate I think I will maybe try a mixture then but deffently glosso, yeah I seen the large grassy one behind rocks on a few of the aquariums and looks great, so I am going for glosso and maybe another short grass as carpet and the longer grass behind the rocks, will look at marks tank when get home mate , I want a large rock on the left and a few smaller ones around it and maybe a smaller or middle size one on the right so not centered in middle, I was planning on facing my filter facing up so disturbs the water for better airiation, still not got round to ordering any Lilly pipes yet

Also pretty much want whole bottom carpeted
Cheers again
Dean

Back