• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How much nitrate NO3 does Hemianthus micranthemoides need

Federal

Hi, I need of information what level of nitrate (NO3) I have to ensure to Hemianthus micranthemoides to grow normal?

Hi, I need of information what level of nitrate (NO3) I have to ensure to Hemianthus micranthemoides to grow normal?
Hi @Federal I don't think there are any particularly high (or low) NO3 requirements for Pearlweed... if your injecting CO2 and aim at say ~20-25 ppm NO3 weekly you should be good.

Cheers,
Michael

I was very amazed after my first check, level of tap water is 10 mg/l. I've always thought tap water has 0 mg/l.
Also 20-25 mg/l will invite algae to be my guest.

I was very amazed after my first check, level of tap water is 10 mg/l. I've always thought tap water has 0 mg/l.
Hi @Federal , According to our water dept. ours is about 2-3 ppm. 10 ppm is not uncommon, although it is fairly high for drinking water. I believe in the US the EPA suggested limit is right around 10 ppm.
Thats a definite no in most, if not all, cases. My nitrate levels has been hovering around 20-40 ppm for a long time in both my tanks. Zero algae to speak of... The fertilizer you dose do not cause algae, poor maintenance, too strong light vs. CO2, poor circulation/filtration, lack of fertilizer etc. will, on the other hand. Estimative Index dosing routinely calls for +20 ppm of NO3 weekly.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hello,
As mentioned by Michael, nitrate does not cause algae. Algae do not really care how much nitrate is in the water. Lack of nitrate, however, does cause algae.
The Eurozone limit for NO3 is 50ppm, so no, tap water does not very often have zero nitrate, and for our purpose, does not need to have zero.

Cheers,

Last edited:
I used to have around 40ppm of nitrates from the tap in my old house. Ran my tank there for two years and never found it to cause any particular issues with algae or livestock.

Back