• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

how much light please .

bigmel

Hi all

My tank is what you guys call low tech , vallis at the back ,amazon swords centre and xmas / java moss .

Its been up and running for 6 weeks with good plant growth and seems to be ticking over nicely ..

I have the lights on 8 am to 11.00 pm which i understand is considered way to much . The books i read years ago used to quote 10-12 hours .

What lighting time length is considered to be best please...

Tank is a fluval roma 240 .

Bump !

I,ve reduced lighting to 6 hours but still getting hair algae and considering dumping all the plants which is ashame as it looked the mutts nuts

any pictures? What filtration do you have and do you feed the plants? also is your tank t8 or t5 lights?

bigmel said:
I,ve reduced lighting to 6 hours but still getting hair algae and considering dumping all the plants which is ashame as it looked the mutts nuts
I accidentally "algae'ised" my tank by miss setting the lighting time clock (confusion over am pm :sick:) and in conjunction with the CO2 injection not matching the lights produced a major algae problem, hair algae on most plants, BBA on rocks as well as long stringy (staghorn ?) algae. The cause was only noticed by me a week or two later when I was around on the Sunday and noticed the tank lights were on during the day, :woot:. Had noticed algae in the tank during the intervening time but assumed it would just go with the 6 hours lights I was using NOT!!!!

I cured by
- Setting the lighting time clock correctly for 6 hours a day. I have 2 hours in the morning, basically so I can check & look at the tank before I go to work, followed by 4 hours in the evening.
- Set the CO2 on 2 hours before light on and off 1 hour before light off.
- Double dosed Excel Flourish.
- Scraped/rubbed as much algae off the plants/fixtures as possible. I used a piece of filter floss as a cleaing/wiping cloth.
- After cleaning and allowing tank to clear either rinsed or replaced the fine filter floss in the filters which was now saturated with algae and plant bits.

After a couple of days, virtually all the aglae had gone and so far has not come back. Did have some plants die off and melt, but this is a known problem with using high doses of Excel. As soon as I stopped using Excel what was left of the melted plants sprung back to life. Main plant casualty was "ye olde" cheapy Egeria Densa I was using to "pad" the tank whilst the other plants settled in.

Back