• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How many assassin snails for a 180L?

Jack B

Hi All

I've got a background population of pest snails which is annoying me.

I can see about thirty small pest snails with a causal glance around the tank - no doubt there are far more than that in reality.

I don't want to cut down on feeding since I've got quite a few shy / nocturnal fish that I want to keep well fed. Gastropex doesn't seem to do the trick...so I think I'll try assassin snails.

I'd like enough of them to get through the pest snails over time, but not so more than necessary. Any idea how many I should get?

I had two in a 160l and ran out of snails for them to eat inside a couple of months (or at least population got so low I didn’t see them anymore)

Guess there could still have been a few hiding in dark corners….looking nervous! 👀

Two will soon multiply if you need more. I bought a couple many years ago for my 500l. They bred enough I was able to send some to people in this forum in the past. My tank lasted 10 years. When I tore it down last week there were 10 live assassin snails and loads of empty snail shells in the substrates including assassin shells.

Last edited:
Two will soon multiply if you need more. I bought a couple many years ago for my 500l. They bred enough I was able to send some to people in this forum in the past. My tank lasted 10 years. When I tore it down last week there were live 10 assassin snails and loads of empty snail shells in the substrates including assassin shells.
Sounds good. My ebay seller threw in a bonus snail so I've got three assassins on the prowl. Will be interested to see how they get on. They slide past pest snails on the glass without a sideways glance but clearly they track them down somehow...

Back