• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How long before adding shrimp or fish

Deano3

Hi everone i have had my tank running for around a month now or a little less and wanting to start adding a clean up crew and give bairns something to look at.

I currently have a 45p i am eventually wanting a shoul of green tetras as love these fish or maybe something smaller if anyone has any ideas but not many shops to lacal to me i usually go to dobbies.

I am thinking maybe a nitrite snail to help with algae but would i pull up my hair grass and do they lay eggs all over that are unsightly ?

And some cherries pr any small shrimp any recomendations and should they be ok to put in now ?

Thanks dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

If you dont have any NO2 or NH4+ in your water, you can add shrimp and fish.
I would not get Nerite(!) Snails. Either Planorbarius corneus or Clithon corona

If you dont have any NO2 or NH4+ in your water, you can add shrimp and fish.
I would not get Nerite(!) Snails. Either Planorbarius corneus or Clithon corona
I havnt tested my water i was just going to leave to cycle for a good while i imagine its ok now but dont own a test kit.

What shrimp would you recommend and why do you not like snails ? Eggs get a bit annoying , and how many shrimp you recomend ?

Also thinking aboit 2 ottos for algae

Thanks dean

What shrimp would you recommend and why do you not like snails ? Eggs get a bit annoying , and how many shrimp you recomend ?
I would go for Neocaridina spp. or Caridina multidentata. I do like snails, but not Neritina spp. for plants tanks.

I would go for Neocaridina spp. or Caridina multidentata. I do like snails, but not Neritina spp. for plants tanks.
Thanks for that i may get a couple of ottos today you think after a month tank should be stable enough ?

Thanks dean

Ottos need algea/biofilm to eat. As far as I learned it's better to add ottos in a more mature tank and start with other fish first.
Or is algea getting out of control?

I waited 6 weeks before adding fish in my first tank.

Ottos need algea/biofilm to eat. As far as I learned it's better to add ottos in a more mature tank and start with other fish first.
Or is algea getting out of control?

I waited 6 weeks before adding fish in my first tank.
Ok thanks for that no not algae i do have some on the wood but may start off with some cherries first, will see if dobbies have any in and start off with 4 or so.

Thanks dean

Back