• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How important are the light in fish only tank

Nont

Hi guys,

I have never had a light turn on or even had proper lightings in a non-planted fish tank. It never strikes me that I need one until I read about fishkeeping cruelty yesterday. Now I’m wondering if it is consider cruel to not have one, and is it really nescessary in a fish tank?

I once visited a Pet Store mostly catering for hamsters,rabbits, budgies, dogs cats and the like but they had a a small selection of tanks with Tropical and small Coldwater fish , filtration by,sponge air driven filters lit only by natural daylight from the shop windows all the fish were in excellent condition, pristine look about the tanks

For some fish I think not having a light (provided they get some daylight or illumination from other sources) is preferable. Rivers aren't always very bright and some fish like to hide away from the sun's rays. I don't think it's cruel provided they are able to see enough to comfortably eat and go about a normal life. With bright indirect light into the room you may be providing more light than they would get in heavily tannin coloured water or under dense vegatation.
On the flip side there could be an arguement made for some of our fish species being in tanks with to much light.

I suspect most fish are kept in too much light. It’s now a balancing act between enough light for plants, and not too much light to cause undue skittishness.

From my experience, brighter lights contribute to far more skittish fish.

In the fish room I’m building I’m moving away from planted tanks, except for the obvious low light plants. Need to work out how many watts are needed to grow pothos tho 😅 this also isn’t made easier with the increasing cost of electricity.

Back