• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How important are sulfates?

Hello,
Sulfur, found in the form of sulfate ion (SO4-) is a micronutrient and is used in the production of Amino Acids as well as Chlorophyll. Nitrogen utilization is aided by Sulfur.
If you are using tap water to any extent then there is more than enough of SO4 compounds in the water.

Since it is involved in Chlorophyll production, Sulfur deficiency would typically look very similar to Magnesium or Iron deficiency. Since it is involved in Amino Acid production, which are used to build proteins, stunting might also be an issue. Again, stunting is also caused by may other types of deficiencies such as CO2, PO4 and others.

As with all other nutrients, if you are using pure RO, then adding small amounts of K2SO4 would be a good idea. If you are adding MgSO4 then again, that will be more than enough SO4.
Like other micronutrients, SO4 accumulates in the vacuoles so it's not really necessary to dose large amounts or to worry too much about the levels.

Cheers,

Hello,
Sulfur, found in the form of sulfate ion (SO4-) is a micronutrient and is used in the production of Amino Acids as well as Chlorophyll. Nitrogen utilization is aided by Sulfur.
If you are using tap water to any extent then there is more than enough of SO4 compounds in the water.

Since it is involved in Chlorophyll production, Sulfur deficiency would typically look very similar to Magnesium or Iron deficiency. Since it is involved in Amino Acid production, which are used to build proteins, stunting might also be an issue. Again, stunting is also caused by may other types of deficiencies such as CO2, PO4 and others.

As with all other nutrients, if you are using pure RO, then adding small amounts of K2SO4 would be a good idea. If you are adding MgSO4 then again, that will be more than enough SO4.
Like other micronutrients, SO4 accumulates in the vacuoles so it's not really necessary to dose large amounts or to worry too much about the levels.

Cheers,

Great, cheers. So like Mg, 6ppm (small dose) of SO4 should be more than enough?

I'm just trying to pin point my lackluster greens. Everything is bloody pink :bored:

Great, cheers. So like Mg, 6ppm (small dose) of SO4 should be more than enough?
Yes, definitely. Sulfate deficiency is virtually unheard of.

I'm just trying to pin point my lackluster greens. Everything is bloody pink :bored:
Well, this is novel. Normally folks complain about too much green and not enough of the other colors.
Micronutrient troubleshooting always has to start with determining whether the symptoms appear in the new leaves or the mature leaves.
If the mature leaves exhibit symptoms then this suggests a Nitrogen shortfall. If the symptoms appear in new leaves this suggests a micronutrient.
It's very difficult to isolate a specific micronutrient because they all create similar symptoms and there are also differences exhibited across the various species.
It's easier therefore to simply add all of them.

Cheers,

Yes, definitely. Sulfate deficiency is virtually unheard of.

Well, this is novel. Normally folks complain about too much green and not enough of the other colors.
Micronutrient troubleshooting always has to start with determining whether the symptoms appear in the new leaves or the mature leaves.
If the mature leaves exhibit symptoms then this suggests a Nitrogen shortfall. If the symptoms appear in new leaves this suggests a micronutrient.
It's very difficult to isolate a specific micronutrient because they all create similar symptoms and there are also differences exhibited across the various species.
It's easier therefore to simply add all of them.

Cheers,

It's the new leaves on my cardamine (not actually in the substrate, it's wrapped on wood with free hanging roots), my limnophila sessiliflora, sunset, and my pogostemon stellatus (has gone orange, which I actually like). My crypts come in light brown with a beautiful tortoiseshell pattern, then move to a dark brown /green as the leaf ages. All my friend's tanks, their crypts come in lush green :bored:

I've doubled down on micro dosing for a few weeks to see if it helps. Wondering if I should supplement extra iron in the meantime? I have 13% EDTA here.

Has anyone conclusively explained the pinking up of green plants? Is it light intensity? Nutrients? or both?

Thanks

IMG-20180201-WA0007_1920x1080 (1).jpeg

It's the new leaves on my cardamine (not actually in the substrate, it's wrapped on wood with free hanging roots), my limnophila sessiliflora, sunset, and my pogostemon stellatus (has gone orange, which I actually like). My crypts come in light brown with a beautiful tortoiseshell pattern, then move to a dark brown /green as the leaf ages. All my friend's tanks, their crypts come in lush green :bored:
These seem normal to me, especially if symptoms are not evident on the other plants in the tank.

Has anyone conclusively explained the pinking up of green plants? Is it light intensity? Nutrients? or both?
As well as spectral effect from your lights there are a variety of reasons as mentioned in https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/tips-of-red-plants-are-turning-green.49690/#post-512104

Cheers,

These seem normal to me, especially if symptoms are not evident on the other plants in the tank.

As well as spectral effect from your lights there are a variety of reasons as mentioned in https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/tips-of-red-plants-are-turning-green.49690/#post-512104

Cheers,

Great, thanks. For the record my LEDs specs are (in case anyone is interested).

Blue 440 - 450nm (12W)
Red 620 - 630nm (6w)
White 6500 - 7500k (45w)

p.s an observation I made.... at the end of micro dosing day the pinks were less pronounced. On macro days (usually the first day of the week after WC) they would be a lot more pink than usual.

Last edited:
Back