• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How do I make this work (Sarracenia in aquarium)

castle

Hello,

I vaguely remember a lovely aqaurium on where years ago by Mr teapot, and he got something like this Serracenla growing in his tank.

How can I do this? I have a plant, and a 20cm diameter glass vase which I'd like to use, I see two options:

Fill vase with dirt/moss/stick and the let the plant sit at water level on top of the mass of dirt.

Or I could go a class dirt capped, with stones, get a few bits of wood in the tank and attach the plant to wood? Would this plant be okay below water level?

Pictures attached, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20180616_164250171.jpg
    IMG_20180616_164250171.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 294
  • IMG_20180616_164250171.jpg
    IMG_20180616_164250171.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 114
http://www.sarracenia.com/ Tells you all you need to know and how to make things work.. But as Darrel says all Sarracenia go in a winter dormancy and than need special care.
Would this plant be okay below water level?
Likely most will not appreciate it for the longer periode, depends on the sp. i do not know them all but there is the S. psittacina is found in deeper pools and frequently submerses in it's natural habitat and reportedly catch tadpoles, arthropods and or insect larvae. Also this sp. is in cultivation and cross breeded for this propperty and can be found in pondshops or maybe garden centers. I never seen it, i guess it's a lucky break if you run into one, or you need to order it via the internet.

Mr. Teapot had a <Heliamphora> above his tank, a Sraracenia lookalike but is a different plant from tropical south america. :)

Last edited:
Going to admit sadly after some reading this isn't going to be suitable for my aquariums, so I made a windowsill vase for it. Moss/Sand/soil in a 70/20/10 mix. About 2 litres of water in here too. It's a sunny position, but cold in the winter. Will see how it gets on, I quite like it.

IMG_0019.JPG

Just look at those lovely cactus flowers!!! nice.

Just look at those lovely cactus flowers!!! nice.
Ahh, it might be stealing the show!

I'll dig out last years flower photos, whole thing was covered! I don't know for certain the species I think it's Mammillaria sp, flowers from May through to August. If the weather is lovely and I'm home, I stick it in the garden for the days. Bees love it.

I now have a bigger vase to reattempt this, that sarracenia didn't make it through that winter :(

The vase is huge, about 55cm in height and 22cm in diameter. I'm thinking of making a miniture bog garden in it, and can guarantee a sunny position in summer, and a sunny summer position in winter:

IMG_20200314_200156170.jpg

Pint of milk for scale.

Does anyone have any idea for what plants I could use? I understand a lot of aquarium plants would be happy, but sarracneia do require quite a unique substrate.

If you want carnivorous plants, have you thought of a pitcher plant? A lot are grown as houseplants! Also if you get a cover you can put some nice wood in there and attach some anubias or bucephalandra. I've done so with some smaller glass containers.

Attachments

• IMG_20200310_131923_404.jpg
    IMG_20200310_131923_404.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 103
Back