• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

how do i make my own drop checker solution?

john6

I have made my 4dkh water using the dilution method, but what do i do next? most things i read say to add ph test solution to the drop checker but are vague as to how much, some say a few drops (what is a few?), some say add a bit (what is a bit?), others say a specific amount of drops but it doesnt say from what test kit, as different ph test kits use different amount of drops, so how much do i actually need?

Just need some Bromothymol blue @john6

some say a few drops (what is a few?), some say add a bit (what is a bit?), others say a specific amount of drops but it doesnt say from what test kit

5 to 6 drops from a dropper bottle (the kind you get with eye drops) is enough. The solution just needs to be blue and dark enough that you can gauge colour (blue/green/yellow).

You can get Bromothymol blue and dropper bottles on eBay.

Just need some Bromothymol blue @john6

5 to 6 drops from a dropper bottle (the kind you get with eye drops) is enough. The solution just needs to be blue and dark enough that you can gauge colour (blue/green/yellow).

You can get Bromothymol blue and dropper bottles on eBay.
Thanks Geoff
The ones i have seen are 0.04%, 0.1% and 1%, does it matter which concentration to buy?

Unless you want something other than 4 dKH solution you're better off buying pre-made, in my opinion.
I dont see how i'm better off when it's so easy to do your own, I made 2 litres of 40dkh water in less than 5 minutes for basically free which will last a lifetime, now just need to buy some Bromothymol blue, which is about a fiver, so i basically have a lifetimes supply of drop checker solution for a fiver and 2 minutes work, can't get better than that :)

now just need to buy some Bromothymol blue
Did exactly the same thing. Just to point out Bromothymol Blue is actually redish orangewhen not in the 4dkh water, as soon as you drop it in the 4kh water it reacts and turns blue.

Thanks Geoff
The ones i have seen are 0.04%, 0.1% and 1%, does it matter which concentration to buy?

Sorry, missed your question. Not sure it matters for our purposes John. More concentrated, less drops needed. Less concentrated, more drops needed.

A bottle like this will probably end up in your final will honestly:

Will last a very long time.

PS Can’t remember what they are called beyond pipette, but very useful for putting in drops with the drop checker filled and already the right way up:

1650124254995.jpeg

It curves around the bend as the stem is flexible.

PSS If you’re replying @john6 and have a question, just slap an ‘@‘ immediately followed by a user name so they get a notification. If they’re not following the thread, then your question could be missed.

Back