• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How can I stock heavily planted nano tank?

zoon

I have a low tech heavily planted Fluval Spec V. Current stock are 5 male tiger endlers and around 30 cherry shrimp (currently, they are breeding). The endlers seem a bit shy and spend much of their time hidden in the plants, so was considering adding a few more. AqAdvisor tells me I shouldn’t have endlers in this tank at all and I get conflicting advice from this forum about whether the spec is suitable for fish at all, so thought I’d ask for your opinion again . Also considering adding some Pygmy corys! Doing massive water changes on this tank is not an issue. I do 10- 20% 2-3 times a week as it takes 5 minutes. Stock all happy and healthy and plants need regular pruning so I assume all is well, but I don’t use test kits so no idea what water parameters actually are.

Personally I would use that tank for shrimp or a lone Betta. I have always wanted all three of the tiny Cory species but after reading up, speaking to a few LFS and observing them I have come to the conclusion that a) they need to be in large groups and b) they like to swim. Whilst the spec V is a bit longer than your average nano tank (but that does include the filter section) I am looking at getting lots to go in something at least 60cm X 30cm.

Other nano fish like Scarlet Badis and Sparkling Gourami are pretty territorial and will hunt your shrimps.

Endlers not so sure on.

Yes, I've got a herd of dwarf corys and they use the full 90cm length - very active!

I don't think I would add more fish. I'm surprised the endlers aren't more outgoing. You could try experimenting with flow direction/top cover etc. and see if you can entice them out a bit.

Back