• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How best to set up a long thin shallow tank?

ForestDave

Hi.
I'm thinking of setting up a long thin tank. Probably around 30x30x140cm. I have a oase biomaster thermo 600 and can either use an inline diffuser or a reactor. Can I simply put a spraybar up one end and the filter inlet at the other or would it require some extra assistance to ensure good CO2 distribution like 1 or 2 Maxspect gyres?
Thanks!

I have a similar 106L tank, long and shallow. It's been happiest since I had a spray bar right across the back, end to end. It's possible to angle the two parts differently. I have euro-ledges which can be useful as a way to deflect the current if it seems too strong, or to create some bubbling action for corys. I don't have CO2. Fish choice has to be considered as there isn't so much separation between levels. I had a Fluval 107, but upgraded to a 307. Some suggest those small water whooshed pumps for extra circulation. I had one which worked for a single day. Obviously one can end up trimming more, or sooner. I'm sure I'm not adding anything you haven't thought of! they do have a nice cinemascope feel.

I have euro-ledges which can be useful as a way to deflect the current if it seems too strong, or to create some bubbling action for corys.
euro-ledges are a new one to me .. can you explain them? I would also like to set up a long shallow tank, ideally with emersed growth along the back.

I have a similar 106L tank, long and shallow. It's been happiest since I had a spray bar right across the back, end to end. It's possible to angle the two parts differently. I have euro-ledges which can be useful as a way to deflect the current if it seems too strong, or to create some bubbling action for corys. I don't have CO2. Fish choice has to be considered as there isn't so much separation between levels. I had a Fluval 107, but upgraded to a 307. Some suggest those small water whooshed pumps for extra circulation. I had one which worked for a single day. Obviously one can end up trimming more, or sooner. I'm sure I'm not adding anything you haven't thought of! they do have a nice cinemascope feel.
It needs to fit in a small room. "I like the idea of a cinemascope feel!" I may be able to convert it to non CO2 eventually but at the moment that is what the plants are used to.

Euro-ledges are just braces running along the sides, at the top, to strengthen the walls. They mean the tank isn't as clean in terms of it's design as some fancy ones, and you have to make sure to build in enough of a gap in the back corners for pipes – not every form of pipe fixing system will work, so if you are designing one as a newbie it's easy to go wrong. But the ledges are useful to dampen flow and it's easy to put water in from a jug, onto them. My tank is so shallow that I can't use my fluval pipe and I use a sawn off piece, but it seems to function OK. Mine is 36 x 18 x 12 inch (900 x 450 x 300). Scaping tends towards having a point of interest at each end. A relatively low rock appears like something quite tall. The euro ledges are problematic with emersed growth right at the back, but I have pothos coming out of the corner holes, beside the pipes. If I was ordering again I'd avoid the ledges.

Hi all,
I'm thinking of setting up a long thin tank. Probably around 30x30x140cm.
Have a look at @doylecolmdoyle <5' Bookcase tank>.

27306621398_3b06d13bd1_b-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

It really depends on what you have in mind. My hillstream shallow has a circular flow design with high and lower flow areas, so i use lily+powerhead+skimmer to create this flow. If you want a regular planted low tank spraybar with maybe a powerhead seems more logical. What is your hardscape plan?

Back