• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How and what to feed celestial pearl danios

Matt Warner

Hi all, I have just recently bought some Celestial pearl danios and im having some trouble feeding them. Everything I seem to feed them they have a nibble at but don't seem to eat it. I have tried grinded up flake food, frozen bloodworm, brine shrimp and daphnia. Do these fish ever come to the surface to feed, as mine always seem too scared to come to the surface. Ay advice would be appreciated. Cheers

are they wild? if so try live food at first. chopped bloodworm and daphnia.

Hi, I'm not sure, I got them from maidenhead aquatics. Do they buy in wild caught fish or captive bred?

how 'grey and washed out' were they when you bought them? the tank bred ones i have seen have more colour to them in the shop.

They seemed to be quite dull in the shop, but now they have really nice colour to them and seem really healthy. Just wish they would eat something!

i personally wouldn't worry to much if they are nibbling as they are such a small fish...they don't need a lot of feeding.

Thank you for all the replys everyone. I guess they are just that small, they don't need a lot of food. I will just feed them a small amount every couple of days. I will also try some micro pellets and see how they get on. They are still a little shy but getting more confident every day.

Hi all,
Try them on some small live food like Micro worms, the cultures cost pennies to keep and because they wriggle they elicit the feeding response, which will often lead to them trying other dry food fed at the same time.

If they get on well with Micro worms you could try Grindal worms which are a lot more productive. I also like the Astax Red Crumb and decapsulated brine shrimp from TA aquaculture.

Just found this from live food guru Mike Hellweg:
<http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/the-celestial-pearl-danio-a-cautionary-tale.htm>

cheers Darrel

Hikari micro pellets, bbs, decapsulared bs eggs, daphnia, mozzies - mine are eating all the above.

jbl nano flakes are great. Very small 1 millimeter sized flakes.

Back