• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hosta in a pond?

mort

Has anyone actually grown a hosta in a pond? I have a few that always get munched even though we have literally hundreds of frogs (when we doubled the size of our pond a few years ago we collected over 200 from the old one). Have varying depths available from a few inches up but was thinking maybe potting and leaving the bottom of the pot only in water, so it's in standing water but not completely submerged. I see other people have tried it but also read that the roots need to be able to breath.
any ideas?

Can you grow them on the edge of your pond (out of the water), their leaves will grow over the edge and the plant will be much happier, Hosta does not like it's feet wet. there are some Hosta species that aren't munched on as much by snails and slugs, you could also try to keep them in a pot (still out of the water) place the pot into the ground, leaving the rim above it, place a copper strip around that pot rim to avoid snails and slugs to get into the pot.

Thanks, it was only a thought really as I came across some pictures yesterday where they had been added to a pond and apparently they did fantastic. The discussion about the roots needing to breath was never really answered on the thread but it was updated over a couple of years and they overwintered in the pond fine and kept coming back. So my thought were more of an experiment situation. I'll probably still have a crack with a few shoots from each to see how they do and keep the other like you suggested.

Thanks, looks an interesting thread.

in winter time it will probably be dry
doesn't look it from the second linked season photos :)

Found a brief mention elsewhere of someone that also had planted hostas in the pond - as a trial that worked, unfortunately no mention of varieties (or photos or details :lol: )

Back