• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hose size for these filters?

James D

Can anyone tell me what size hoses are on the following filters (12/16 or 16/22)

Aquamanta EFX 300
Tetratec EX 1200
Aqua One aquis 1250

While I'm at it, is the Aqua One any good?

Cheers

James

Cheers Wallace, have you got one of these?

Thinking about it they probably all need that size to accomodate the high LPH?.

I swapped my 16/22 Hydor heater for a 12/16, looks like I'm going to have to do it again. :facepalm:

Is the JBL Cristal profi e901 any good?, I see it's got the 12/16 hose. My tank's only a 60-P but I need more LPH than my Eheim Ecco200 can deliver.

Don't confuse the size of the hose, to how much the pump/filter can kick out. Bigger isn't always better :D

My 2000lph for example only has 12/16 and isn't far off double the flow rate of a tetratec 1200 which has 16/22. Ok, 400 litres off double lol

I'm pretty sure the hose size is more something to do more with the pressure of the water and the actual design of the pump/impeller etc If I come across the article I was reading about it, I'll post it up.

.....but don't just assume they'll all be 16/22 because of the lph is what I'm getting at really ;)

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what size hoses are on the following filters (12/16 or 16/22)

Aquamanta EFX 300
Tetratec EX 1200
Aqua One aquis 1250

While I'm at it, is the Aqua One any good?

Cheers

James
Pretty certain they are all 16/22

The Aquamanta is made by Aquaone for Maidenhead shops ;) Very good filters too!

Thanks for the answers, very useful. I was leaning towards the Aquamanta because I'd read good reviews but it's a pain having to buy another heater.

It looks like I'll be getting the JBL at the moment, but before I commit myself I'd like to know if there are any other filters around the 1000lph mark with the 12/16 hosing?

Cheers.

My 2000lph for example only has 12/16 and isn't far off double the flow rate of a tetratec 1200 which has 16/22. Ok, 400 litres off double lol

What filter is this mate?

It isn't actually a filter mate, it's just a D-D pump I use for my sump and spraybar.

Edit: Just thought, I don't know if you've tried or if it's possible with your setup, but can you place the filter higher up, maybe behind the tank for example? I'm assuming you have it in a cupboard underneath. I'm losing nearly 1500 lph on mine just through head height. Also things like shorter pipe runs, less restrictions elbows/media etc. Just thought it could give you the extra boost you were looking for and best of all it's free :D

Last edited:
Just got myself a secondhand Cristalprofi 901e for £35 :), I would have preferred something bigger but I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of new tubing, heater and lily pipes. Hopefully it'll be adequate for my 60-P. The bidding on my fluval 106 is up to £36 so I'm in profit for a change. :eek:

I was surprised to say the least, there's time for a few more bids yet though, it finishes tomorrow. To be fair they aren't bad filters IMO, I prefer it to my eheims, it's just too small for a planted tank.

Haven't had any problems with the tetratec 1200, been running 6 months now. I think the first batch had some issues which have marred the filter.

Pretty quite, slight hum when I sit right next to the filter but you have to strain to hear it. 4 nice wide trays for media though you have to be careful about over filling them as they are bit fiddly to get back in if you get some media under the handles stopping it from dropping. I did change the spray bar to the Fluvual one as I had increased the size of the holes to reduce surface flow so my floating plants didn't get ripped apart. Oh and I did need to put ptfe tape on the end bung to stop it falling out the spray bar.

Overall very happy with it.

I've got an e900 from eBay but sadly it didn't come with the media baskets apart from the top pre-filter one :(.

Does any one know where I can get hold of these baskets? I'm a bit gutted as I was thinking about buying a new 901 but saw this one on eBay and thought I'd save a bit of money.

Back