• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Honey Gourami and Red Honey Gourami

Not quite, you have the sunset, and the sunset is a different variant than the wild color variant.
They are however the same species, is that what you meant?

ef1cd3c968722c7bf66f1452bbd4a3a3.jpg

The joys of common names haha!

Wild colour and sunset are both trichogaster/colisa chuna

Red robin is trichogaster labiosa or maybe even a hybrid of that and chuna

Cheers

Not quite, you have the sunset, and the sunset is a different variant than the wild color variant.
They are however the same species, is that what you meant?

View attachment 163484
You did great sorry.
But, with my English limitations + all the info that I am processing in the last 3 weeks I might come across as stupid.
I have a Trichogaster Chuna. The colour is the called Sunset Honey Gourami and the wild colour is just a different colour.
So I guess my second one, as long is a Trichogaster Chuna (either Honey or Wild colour) should be fine.
Then we encounter the problem of the gender...

Hi all,
The colour is the called Sunset Honey Gourami and the wild colour is just a different colour.
The coloured form is technically "oligomelanic"or "xanthic"and the wild form is "type", but they are both Trichogaster chuna.

I've never actually seen a live non-golden one, I'd buy wild type if I could find them, but I'm not personally as keen on <"the xanthic morph">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

The coloured form is technically "oligomelanic"or "xanthic"and the wild form is "type", but they are both Trichogaster chuna.

I've never actually seen a live non-golden one, I'd buy wild type if I could find them, but I'm not personally as keen on <"the xanthic morph">.

cheers Darrel
They had some wild type honeys in a Maidenhead I visited on Saturday but I think Manchester might be a bit far away for you. If they're still there next time I'll take some photos for you.

F202C1DD-8BD5-421E-9AD3-0AF2BCB6E40E.jpeg B231C7EC-CBDD-4455-BBB3-6695F295A122.jpeg
So after reading through this can someone confirm these are ‘Sunset’ honey’s?
They were just labelled as honey gourami in my local MA. I’d like some more so I want to know what to ask for!
Cheers

Hi all,

cheers Darrel
I think shops like the 'sunset' because the wild type can look very dull in the shop, although they are beautiful when they have settled into a planted tank.

That may be the case but if you put in another male without any females they can be aggressive to eachother rather than with everyone else in the tank. Ideally i would get 2M 3F.
But I have no space for more fish so the Gourami was our last one. I hope is ok and they don't fight.
Shall i get male or female then?

Its only a 54 litres tank
1 guppy 1 swordtail 2 mollies 1 platy 1 honey gourami and 3 amanos
The second Gourami would be the last and final addition

Then i would get a female. Pick one that has the dark line down the side to be sure 😉
Umm in my LFS there were some with the line... but they said that they can either be male or female as that colour is going to change when they grow

Hey there! Yep, Honey Gouramis and Red Honey Gouramis are indeed the same species - Trichogaster chuna. The color difference is just a variation, much like how some people have different hair colors! I had a similar experience when I added a Red Honey Gourami to my tank. At first, I was worried they wouldn't get along, but turns out, they were just different color morphs of the same species and got along just fine.

As for the concern about mixing different gouramis, it's a valid point. Different species can have varying temperaments and requirements. Speaking of which, I found a neat article about selecting tank mates for Honey Gouramis that might be useful: honey gourami tank mates information . It's a good read, especially if you're planning to add more fish to your aquarium. Hope this helps, and best of luck with your colorful gourami friends! 🐠🌈

Back