• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Honey Gourami and Red Honey Gourami

confusedman

Are Honey Gourami and Red Honey Gourami the same thing?

The last fish we are getting is a second Honey Gourami but we would like a different colour (so we can tell them apart). We saw in a shop Red Honey Gourami and just want to make sure that they are the same species with just a colour variation (as we read is not good to mix different gouramis)

Thanks everyone

Im of the opinion that the red form is a hybrid between chuna and labiosa. I find it especially obvious when you look at the difference in lip thickness between honey and the red "honey". But you should be fine to mix them, they are commonly kept together.

I have some "sunset honey gouramis" and "red robin honey gourami", they are totally different, i only realised when i got home and observing them. The body shape is a dead give away really, the "sunset" honey gouramis are more oval shaped with very small mouths. Where as the "red robins" are much bigger and are shaped like the "dwarf gouramis" you usually find. Temperament is toally different too, the "red robins" are aggressive and bold where as the "sunsets" are shy, gentle and very inquisitive.

@Sammy Islam do you have any pics of the sunsets? I’ve just googled them and most of the images look like my male (who sadly passed about 4 months ago)
I’d like some more as they’re so placid and nice looking too, very underrated IMO
DD221FED-D358-4662-A952-1D1BA2BF0ADE.jpeg

As @Hufsa mentioned, I believe the sunsets are a colour form of colisa chuna and the red robins are a hybrid of chuna and labiosa. They may even be a colour form of labiosa but seem a bit too small for that to be the case.

Cheers

I have some "sunset honey gouramis" and "red robin honey gourami", they are totally different, i only realised when i got home and observing them. The body shape is a dead give away really, the "sunset" honey gouramis are more oval shaped with very small mouths. Where as the "red robins" are much bigger and are shaped like the "dwarf gouramis" you usually find. Temperament is toally different too, the "red robins" are aggressive and bold where as the "sunsets" are shy, gentle and very inquisitive.
Are the Red Robin Honey Gourami and the Red Honey Gourmais the same thing?

Oh god, I was confused with two types and now Ive got three!! :)

Temperament is toally different too, the "red robins" are aggressive and bold where as the "sunsets" are shy, gentle and very inquisitive.
Thats why we would like to get another one. He is super placid and gentle. Bothers no one, no one bothers him

Why the way, can anyone guess the gender looking at the pics?

That's a male according to Tropco!
Females stay a Grey/Brown.
hoggie

Do you think it would be suitable to have 2 males in a 4ft planted tank since they're so peaceful? Asking for... me haha.

Ideal Number to Keep – Though not gregarious in the sense of schooling fishes it does seem to require interaction with conspecifics and displays more interesting behaviour when maintained in numbers, meaning the purchase of no less than 4-6 specimens is recommended. Groups develop noticeable hierarchies and you’ll often see dominant individuals chasing away their rivals at feeding time or when occupying their favourite spot.

Thats why we would like to get another one. He is super placid and gentle. Bothers no one, no one bothers him

Why the way, can anyone guess the gender looking at the pics?
That may be the case but if you put in another male without any females they can be aggressive to eachother rather than with everyone else in the tank. Ideally i would get 2M 3F.

Are the Red Robin Honey Gourami and the Red Honey Gourmais the same thing?

Oh god, I was confused with two types and now Ive got three!! :)
Nope they are indeed different fish so there are 3

1. Red Robin Gourami Male - Largest of the 3, they are sometimes called Paprika Gourami
2. Honey Gourami Male
3. Gold Sunset Honey Gourami Male - The males get the same black coloration to them as the Honey Gourami Males when in display/breeding mode
In each case bar the sunsets the females are a duller muddy grey.
The Gold Sunset Females are a yellow/gold colour and have a dotted black line that runs horizontally along them.

Hope that Helps

1614000438423.png

1614000438423.png

Now it sounds even more confusing I think @Gill
I think he was asking if there are two varieties of Red gourami, not if the Sunset is the same as Red? Or have I misunderstood as well.

I agree there are three varieties of honeys though

You have the normal / wild color honey gourami, males with deep honey color and black bottom when in breeding dress, females a plainer beige silver with a line running along the body.

Sunset honey gourami which the male is yellow with orange details all the time, females are also yellow but with less orange details.

And finally the Red (+/- robin) gourami hybrid which is red with a more transparent tail. I dont know how the females look for this variety.

So.. they are 3 different types right? and mine according to your pics is the Dward Honey Red Gourami? I thought dwarg gouramis was a diferent one again...

God this is becoming confusing....

Nope they are indeed different fish so there are 3

1. Red Robin Gourami Male - Largest of the 3, they are sometimes called Paprika Gourami
2. Honey Gourami Male
3. Gold Sunset Honey Gourami Male - The males get the same black coloration to them as the Honey Gourami Males when in display/breeding mode
In each case bar the sunsets the females are a duller muddy grey.
The Gold Sunset Females are a yellow/gold colour and have a dotted black line that runs horizontally along them.

Hope that Helps

View attachment 163469

according to your pics is the Dward Honey Red Gourami? I thought dwarg gouramis was a diferent one again...
No the text on that image is wrong, the photo is of a Sunset Honey Gourami. Red Dwarf gourami is something entirely different, those are red with a blue top fin.
Thats why I found it misleading

Honey Gourami colors:
Current latin name "Trichogaster chuna", old latin names may include "Colisa chuna" amongst others.

"Wild / Natural / Standard" color honey gourami:

Trichogaster-chuna-3.jpg
Male in neutral mood. This is how it might look in a fishstore

Trichogaster-chuna-male2.jpg
Male in breeding dress.

Trichogaster-chuna-4.jpg
Female

"Sunset" color honey gourami:
Sometimes also listed as "Red Sunset", "Gold honey gourami", etc because the fish stores love fancy names and some of them like to add a few more names for fun and to make it extra confusing.

4d3155414e3675cc15cb076f96e30dc5.jpg
Male

Honey-Gourami-4.jpg
Female and male.
Males of this variety do not have as large changes in color when breeding as the wild color, but they get somewhat of a black line at the bottom.

"Red" color honey gourami:
Sometimes listed as "Red Robin honey gourami".
Sold under same latin name as the other honeys although likely to be a hybrid due to body differences.
red-honey-gourami.png
I was unable to find a clear picture showing a female of this variety, I assume females may be less easy to tell apart than in other forms.

DIFFERENT SPECIES:
Red Dwarf Gourami
Current latin name "Trichogaster lalius", but more commonly sold under the latin name "Trichogaster lalia" or "Colisa lalia".

D9N_5AxW4ekY-6uen5e2WY71EZgeLaGf0d6IlZX9CeE.jpg
Male red dwarf gourami. Females will be silver color without much if any red.

If you search for red gourami on google this will come up. This is a different species.
This species has several bred color varieties and even just this red form can be sold as Red, Flame, Red Flame, Blood Red, basically any name you can think of.
This species has a different temperament as well as being more susceptible to illness.

I hope this helps, I tried really hard to make it clear but all the fancy names dont help.
If this made it worse I will stop trying and leave well enough alone

Last edited:
Back