• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Home made root tabs

John White

Seedling
Has anyone used Osmocote in Gelatine capsules to make home made root tabs?
I saw this on a Facebook forum and before I try it thought I would ask you good people on here who seem far more knowledgeable about these things.
Be interested to hear of your findings if you have tried this.

Even easier freeze Osmocote with water in an ice cube tray. Push the cubes into substrate under plants. Done.

Reading on a facebook aquarium plant forum Osmocote plus (in the pink packet) is the bee's knee's for home made root tabs. After spending quite a while trying to locate some in the uk it appears that it is USA/Canada only. Some people on that forum thought that normal Osmocote may be harmful (in the blue packet), anyone care to comment please?

Hi all,
Osmocote plus (in the pink packet) is the bee's knee's for home made root tabs. After spending quite a while trying to locate some in the uk it appears that it is USA/Canada only. Some people on that forum thought that normal Osmocote may be harmful (in the blue packet), anyone care to comment please?
I don't think it will make any difference, the nitrogen in both formulas is <"partially in the form of ammonia">.

All <"controlled-release fertilisers"> will give up their nutrients <"a lot more quickly"> in the aquarium than they would in a pot, mainly because release is quicker in warm, wet conditions and aquariums are warm and wet.

How about clay and <"Growmore">? Or you can get the slowest release Osmocote formulation via <"ebay">, £9.45 for a kilo.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, I don't think it will make any difference, the nitrogen in both formulas is <"partially in the form of ammonia">.

All <"controlled-release fertilisers"> will give up their nutrients <"a lot more quickly"> in the aquarium than they would in a pot, mainly because release is quicker in warm, wet conditions and aquariums are warm and wet.

How about clay and <"Growmore">? Or you can get the slowest release Osmocote formulation via <"ebay">, £9.45 for a kilo.

cheers Darrel
Thank you for that :)

Back