• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Holiday Process

Nubias

What’s everybody’s holiday process for leaving tanks?

I’ll be away for 3 weeks this Christmas, the new tank I’m not to worried about as I’ll just leave to continue fishless cycle. Will top up to capacity and cover tank and sump as much as possible to minimize evaporation.

Second tank is running 7-8 hour light cycle what would be best to reduce this to? 4-5 hours? I think I’ll try an auto feeder for this tank as normal friend that feeds will also be away for parts of Christmas etc. they will be able to check on things in between.

It’s a juwel tank anyone using their auto feeder? Or an alternative that works with the factory position?

I also dose daily with the aquascaper complete liquid plant food should I continue this up to the day I leave? Or reduce dosing the week before?

I would firstly reduce the light cycle, as you say 4/5 hrs max should be adequate when you are away..
How often will the friend be in when you are away?!? This will have an effect as they could does ferts/ feed fish at certain time points.

I have not used an auto feeder, but would think if there is someone coming round every 3rd day things should be fine?!?!

:)

I highly recommend the Eden 901 automatic feeder as it is one of the only ones I know that keeps the food dry and so stops it from turning to a wet mush and therefore stops it dispensing.

You can do a large fert dose before you go away too, maybe 4 times your usual dosage. This would mean the tank is ok for a week at a time at roughly half the lighting level. If you could get someone to pop in half way through the 3 weeks and do the same again, that could mean the plants aren't too heavily affected...

Back