• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

High tech setup for plants on wood?

Frenchi

Hi ppl
Me again ... Will a high tech setup work for plants on wood ? Or mostly plants on wood anyway..
I will abbreviate what I mean by high tech..

Full pressurised co2
Full Ei dosing
Full light

Will the above work for plants on wood ie

Anubius
Java ferns
Moss
Crypts on rock

Thanks

Mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have found anubius quite hard to keep under high light, it gets algae really easy, it is best kept in some shade.
However you could try all sorts of plants, who knows what might work?
PS have a looks at my log tank.

Thanks for that:)
How do I find your log tank please ?

Ta

Mick

The plants you want to use are good low(er) light plants, why do you want to use high light?...Can't you just go with less light? This will keep algae at bay too.
Yes lower light is ok it's just I wanted maximum growth rate and thought if I'm pumping in maximum co2 I would need the light to compensate .. I was also wanting to add a carpet of HC too .. :)

Stick to medium light for these plants. In my experience low tech plants like these create a mess in a high tech tank if not maintained well. I would also advise a bit more flow than usual for a tank with these plants

You can make a high tank planted tank with epiphytics. There's no issues of that.

You just need to increase the water flow and keep the water cool so the plants will grow well.

A high tech epiphytic plant choice can be the following:
Bucephalandra (pink, red, blue leaved)
Colored crypts (striolata)
Variegated anubias
microsorum sp. Red
Hygrophila pinnatifida (yes it can be tied to wood)

Sent from my Panasonic P11

Hi, fisidens has to be my wood favorite right now, takes a while to get going but is beautiful. I did the super glue and tweezer job about 2 mths ago it now starting To go green again.

Anubias generally don't like strong light - which make them perfect for inhabitating "lower levels", under other plants, that do.
This can be used very advantageus in such an epiphytic scape.
- been there, done that........so I know for certain, that it works :thumbup:

I personally think that the choice of combination of plants is not good. You do need a fast grower in between these just so you have less chance of algae outbreaks. Otherwise, no matter the light amount, you'll struggle with algae. Maybe even consider floating plants in this case.
And yes, anubias in particular will not look good under strong light on top of wood close to the light. It will eventually be destroyed in green spot algae the minimum and I am totally allergic to algae ridden anubias myself :) But the moss, crypts like h. pinnatifida and java fern should be ok bombarded with light, especially hydrophila p. and even moss.

Back