• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

High Nitrates (>120ppm)

I've used the API Nitrate for some time on and off just when I'm checking for build ups or if I'm trying to dial in a new tank regime. The best way to look at them is either not really getting a reading or redishh. Forget all the other shades of brown in between they don't mean much. I'm not usually a big fan of testing but they do have their uses, in this case it has detected the OP has been over doing it on the ferts, cross reference that with a bit of querying and you have a result.

I have used the “double-triple” dose successfully on my heavily planted nano tank, but I would only recommend it for small tanks with a heavy plant mass.
I've also noticed that although the OP's tank is quite densely stocked the majority of the plants appear to be slow growers anyway. Like others have said should just be a case of carrying out water changes and letting the plants burn off the excess nitrate. Ideally while still dosing traces and Mg but at lower levels. Probably going to struggle to get hold of any on Xmas eve unless the OP can quickly grab some Tropica Premium from a Pets @ Home or Maidenhead aquatics before everyone closes.

Start back on the TNC but at lower levels when nitrates flatten out.

The best way to reset nitrates is to do 2 massive water changes, as low as you can go. Blast everything with a turkey baster to remove waste. Clean out the filter also.

This is a common thing to do once a month or even more.

I agree with @AverageWhiteBloke, a lot of your plants are slow growers so simply reduce the amount of TNC Complete to factor both this and the open space in. Likewise change to making your own salts if you want to save a bit of money.

Add some floating plants, check out Darrells duckweed index in the search bar. It’ll help you to know if you are underdosing.

Don’t overthink it - Happy days!

The best way to reset nitrates is to do 2 massive water changes
With what's coming out of the tap and depending on where the OP lives (away from main roads) a couple of buckets of rainwater would speed up the process for now.

Having said that, the only problem here is the colour of the test kit result. The main aim is the plants and they're doing fine so just ride it out mate knowing what you know now.

Back